Web Browsing

Trying to figure out how to browse the web from within DevonThink Pro Office. Nothing happens

I never used DT Pro Office but I assume you have a “Browse the Web” html file at your disposal in DT PO.

In your regular browser, find any web page that you want to use as a starter. Google, for example, or the New York Times. Then drag that URL to DTPO. Make the label whatever you wish.

When you click on that DTPO entry, it loads the web page. Clicking on links will take you to those files or sites. Use the back and forth arrows to navigate within the sequence of links visited.

When you want to navigate a site in depth, click on the URL that DTPO displays and that will launch your default browser.

Peter, note that with DTPO File > Import > Bookmarks you can capture bookmark from most of the popular Mac browsers.

Also, the DTPO download disk image contains a folder named Extras. Inside that folder are two Bookmarklets that can be installed in Safari and other browsers. The Bookmark bookmarklet will send the bookmark of the page you are viewing, e.g. in Safari, to your database.

I’ve got a group containing a great many bookmarks to the sites that I commonly visit, with subgroups such as Scientific Journals, News Sites, Governmental Sites, etc.

I do most of my captures of Web pages from the DTPO browser, as the ergonomics and options provided by the contextual menu options are very good. For example, select desired text/images in a Web page and Control-click (right-click), then select the contextual menu option Capture Note.

I just tried - because this is what I need - to capture a note.

Your instructions “I do most of my captures of Web pages from the DTPO browser, as the ergonomics and options provided by the contextual menu options are very good. For example, select desired text/images in a Web page and Control-click (right-click), then select the contextual menu option Capture Note” are unclear. What is the contxtual menu option? Where do I capture the note?

Peter

Hi, Peter. Those are the instructions. They work.

While viewing a page in the DT Pro browser, select the desired text/images.

Control-click (right click) on the selected text/images. You will then see a list of options. Choose ‘Capture Note’.

The new rich text note will be saved to your database to the location specified in Preference > Import. In my case, I’ve created a group named ‘Incoming’ and set the preferences to send new content to that group.

Nope - just tried >>Control-click (right click) on the selected text/images. You will then see a list of options. Choose ‘Capture Note’<< not there

I get

Search in spotlight
Search in Google
Look up in Dictionary
Copy
1password
Open … in webstractor
Add … in webstractor

Peter

OK- tried to look this up following your instructions >>The new rich text note will be saved to your database to the location specified in Preference > Import. In my case, I’ve created a group named ‘Incoming’ and set the preferences to send new content to that group.<<

Preferences - Import

I don’t see any clear reference to where something is stored. Is it at the bottom where it says New Notes:??

Look - I really want to like this product but it is not exactly intuitive.

Peter

Hi, Peter. Yes, as documented, it’s at the bottom where it says ‘New Notes’.

If you click on that button you will see that it allows you to choose any existing group in your database, as well as still other options.

Click on it and take a look.

Nope - I get

In top or current group

Scanned (which is a folder I created)

Currently ‘in top or current froup’ is selected and I have no option to capture

I am unable to define any other folders

Peter

You have to open a Web page from a bookmark, which will result in the Web page being displayed in the built-in browser.

Then select some text and/or images.

Now Control-click (right-click). There will be a contextual menu option to capture the selection, ‘Capture Note’. There will also be other options to capture the HTML page or a WebArchive of the page.

The selection button allows you to choose any existing group as the target to receive new notes. You cannot create a new group with the button, however.