Web Server blank page

I’d contact the support team for whoever you’re getting the certificate from to explain your situation with the tunnel you’re using.
I know of no one else using a similar setup.

I upgraded to an ngrok plan which includes a secure tunnel with their certificate, and the “connection is not private” error has gone

I can reach the web server login page just fine. When I enter the login credentials it either gives me a blank page (Safari), or the attached page of misplaced icons and an attempt to serve some data. If I click around on those icons I do get to see some of the files.

DEVONthink web server is v3.8 and is running on OS X 10.15.7

Any other ideas to try? Possibly some “server” settings within OS X that have somehow been corrupted and need to be reset?

And can you temporarily disable the ngrok tunnel to see if it works correctly without it?

You might want to open the developer tools of your favorite browser and check the console there for error message. I suggested that already at the beginning of this thread, not sure if you read that.
I suppose that a lot of resources are missing from the htmlm reaching your browser, the console night give some indication as to what the reasons could be.

Simple things first… did you clear the cache in Safari?

How to clear the cache or do a hard refresh in Safari? - Ask Different.

I’ll bet this is related to my problem using Caddy with DT Server.

1 Like

I don’t have a fixed IP address which is open to the internet. ngrok opens a tunnel for the external connection. I’m not sure how, but it worked flawlessly for over 2 years.

If I go to the web server Mac via the LAN, I get the “connection is not private” message because the DEVONthink certificate is not signed. If I bypass that and go to the site anyway, the server works fine.

I’ve tried clearing caches a few times, reboots etc, but no progress.

Not sure what to make of the developer info, but these are the screens (Brave browser). Can’t see any errors, and the security connection is ok.

For test purposes, what happens if you turn off the Ngrok tunnel and use the IP address shown under Preferences on the Server page? (You may have to set up port forwarding on your router so the port you use goes to your computer running DT3.)

If that works then you can solve the lack of a fixed IP address with a dynamic IP service such as this:

Unfortunately my service is via EE 4G network, (no broadband service here). Port forwarding on EE does not work because they use CGNAT. It’s the reason why I eventually ended up with ngrok as the solution.

I do have this info from Safari errors, which maybe offers a clue. Looks like the stylesheet was not loaded because of “strict mode”, whatever that is?

What are your upload/download speeds? Assuming you can solve the networking issues, do you have enough bandwidth to run the DT3 web server realistically?

What is your use case for the DT3 web server? Could you instead run DT3 on a second computer with a synced database?

Can you have a look in the Firefox web developer console? I’m not sure about Safari here, but I suppose that it’s Apple’s very peculiar way to complain about a CSP violation. Firefox is usually a lot more verbose about those (and clearer, too).

It could all boil down to the fact that the webserver sees request coming from different sources, but this is just a guess.

Also, I found this

which might perhaps help?
Oh well, I just read it. Useless, sorry for that.

This is what Firefox console shows;

Just to (potentially) eliminate a variable, does this behavio occur on a new macOS user account on the same machine?

I setup a new macOS user account, but when I try to start DEVONthink web server I get this error;

Error starting server: The operation couldn’t be completed.
(NSNetServicesErrorDomain error 48.)

For the new user account DEVONthink is unlicensed, but in the free trial period so should be ok.

Is the firewall of macOS enabled, does it block incoming connections or DEVONthink?

Firewall is enabled, but DEVONthink is set to accept incoming connections.

Which port(s) did you specify? Maybe the ports are already used.

It has always been set to Port 443 and that worked fine for over 2 years. Nothing in that installation has been changed.

Only software update have been, OS X, ngrok and DEVONthink. That Mac is used for nothing else.

The last ngrok update was a few months back, and there were no problems.

Unfortunately I can’t pinpoint a moment it stopped working - but I’m guessing one of the recent OS X security updates, as there have been a few.

Does a reboot fix this or changing the port?

443 is the standard HTTPS port. Try something different, like 65530 and see if there’s any change.