Well, not new, but newer than previous—-Formats for saving articles

I save a lot of articles to DTTG and have worked out some kinks in synching (all working on phone and laptop once I figured they had to be on the same network. . What’s up with that? :slight_smile:
I generally save Markdown-Clutter free because the type is cleaner. PDF is more useful for taking notes but the type is too small (I’m sure there’s a way to adjust?). I know I can enlarge, but for quick browsing that slows me down.
Recently, I tried to save this article from the NYT:

There are some wonderful pics. Only the bookmark format saved all the pictures.
I don’t have complete faith that the bookmark will stand the test of time.
Suggestions? On any of this? TIA for your time.

A bookmark doesn’t save anything. It’s just a pointer to a location.

Yes, I get that. But how stable is the URL for an article I may want to refer to in 5-10 years?

the URL is “stable” in DEVONthink but you need to ask the NYTimes for how long it will continue to deliver that page. My hunch is it may work if you are a subscriber but probably no guarantees the content won’t be edited by then.

This kind of “on demand” viewing images is captured better if you first scroll the page to the end allowing show all the screens. In this case, after that, selecting Reader View and then Print and “Send to DEVONthink 3 as PDF” do a perfect job (well, at the end you could edit the PDF (with PDF expert in my case) and delete some garbage.

And in this case, first sending to DT as Formatted Note, then going back to Safari and select Reader View, copy and paste over DT Formatted Note generates a good result too.

1 Like

I’ve mentioned elsewhere, and recently, that these pages that defy all other forms of capture can often be fully archived offline by using Safari’s “File→Export as PDF…”, then moving the PDF into your DEVON database. You may need to manually re-add the source URL and other metadata, but it’s a solid way to capture - at highest fidelity - pages that may otherwise be full of Javascript-injected content. It has a further benefit of making use of any content blockers or plugins in Safari, and will also respect the need to be logged in on some sites.
The only real downside is that it’s a PDF, and that it won’t automagically inherit the metadata the DEVON clipped captures.

3 Likes

In this case, doing that way it generates a PDF only with te first image and holes in all next, and if you scroll-down until the end giving time images to load, the result is a PDF full of garbage. Complete but with a lot of garbage.

1 Like

Anything other than PDF can break in the future. Even with Markdown, you are dependent on the website keeping image links intact, if something breaks, the note in DT will also break, at least graphics.

I often use the Export as PDF feature from Safari, but as you mentioned, this doesn’t work with some websites, like your example from above.

My last resort is using screenshot extensions, like Page Screenshot.

Only links won’t be available. OCR is handled by DT after import.

If you use something like AdGuard, it looks fine:

1 Like