What does retain view do???

I’m a wee bit confused about two options in the Preferences and how it relates to retain view. To quote the help manual

I understand what the top one means and what it does, double-clicking a group either opens it in a new window, or loads it into the same window and the same view.

The bottom one does what now? It only works if the top one is also checked?

What I’m saying is, the top one makes a change: it either opens the group when double-clicked in a new window, or if unchecked it opens it in the same window. But so far as I can see, when it’s opening it in the same window, it does exactly the same thing and loads the new window using exactly the same view whether or not “retain view” is checked.

Retain view doesn’t seem to do anything at all that I can tell. I’m sure I don’t really need to know or I’ll die, but between the preference pane and the manual, I can’t figure out what on god’s earth “retain view” is supposed to accomplish.

Could someone please help me understand this?

Thanks!

You can configure groups to open in a specific view. As example, you may have your normal database view set to ‘View>as Three Panes’ and yet still have a ‘GroupA’ set to ‘View-as Split’. If ‘Always open groups in a new window’ is checked, any time you double-click on ‘GroupA’, it will open in a new window using the Split view.

If ‘Always open groups in a new window’ and 'Retain view are unchecked, any time you double-click on ‘GroupA’, it will open in the same window using the Split view.

If ‘Always open groups in a new window’ is unchecked and 'Retain view is checked, any time you double-click on ‘GroupA’, it will open in the same window using the Three Pane view. With the same preference settings, opening ‘GroupA’ in a new window will use the Split view.