What is a Sync Store?

I’m trying to set up Devon to go 2. what is a Sync Store?

The Sync Store (name) is the name of the “folder” our sync engine will use to store its data in a Sync Location.

If this is a new sync, you need to give it a name. The best option is to have it simple (ie. easy to remember or type), no punctuation except underscores or hyphens, and it’s best if it’s one word. For example, I have syncStores named s3709, s3_Dropbox, and AllDatabases.

When setting up DTTG the manual says the following:

“For indirect connections (such as Dropbox, iCloud, and WebDAV),
enter the requested information, including the sync store name and password; and, if applicable and desired, turn on Verify Uploaded Items. If you already set up a sync store on another device, use its name and encryption key. (Refer back to Add an Indirect Connec-
tion for details on these options.)”

My DT3 databases reside in Dropbox. I have no clue what “the sync store” is, and while I’m a big fan of user manuals, in this instance it assumes that the reader knows something that the manual has yet to explain. Is this something I’m supposed to create in Dropbox?

1 Like

I’m a new user and trying to set up offsite (cloud) backup. I’m migrating from Evernote. I see there is a “Sync” tab under DT3 Preferences and it looks like the place to start.

I have a couple of security questions about backing up DevonThink3

The providers I have (iCloud, GDrive, OneDrive, Dropbox) offer varying degrees of encryption protection while transmitting, storing and accessing files.

My concerns:

Private Data. Of course it’s all private, but I’m referring to the really sensitive information such as financial accounts, legal documents, passwords. Would it be best practice to create an encrypted DT3 database and sync that to my cloud of choice?

Version Control. I like it. But it won’t work on my cloud stored Mac Excel files that are password protected. Will it work for password protected/encrypted DT3 databases?

As a first step please understand and remember that “sync” is NOT backup. Not. Only sync if you need it.

as a second step go to the DEVON Technology web site and download the superb Manual and a copy of the free of charge ebook “Take Control of DEVONthink 3”. first read the later. your questions about sync and encryption will be answered along with many you have not asked yet. put both documents into your new database for continuing reference. the content of the Manual is duplicated in Help.

re version control of Excel files … that is under Excel’s control.

3 Likes

In addition to @rmschne’s comments, perhaps this blog post is useful too:

Also, if you really want privacy, don’t sync your private data to any cloud service, encrypted or not. Use an encrypted database with local backups and include storing a backup offsite, like in a safety deposit box at your local financial institution.

2 Likes

Thanks so much. I appreciate the link. As far as your comments about private data, that’s exactly what I’m doing now so I feel better about my “old school” methods, keeping my key files in the bank lockbox. And I don’t have to update them very often. If I start using DT for that type of info, the hard copy strategy works for me. But, that said, our bank lobby & lockbox access was shut down for several months last year with COVID restrictions - appointment only.

And, I’ll spend time in the Take Control" reference from rmschne

Thanks for the info and points. Backup is my concern, not sync. I’ve had my fair share of issues with sync’s from various providers, mostly due to connection problems between my devices and my files on their servers. But yesterday I just wanted to save a backup copy of a DT database into my OneDrive, and made the mistake of just dropping into my OneDrive folder on my Mac. It sync’d it and gave my 14 file name errors to deal with. I’ve got some learning to do to make sure I know how to keep my cloud storage services from syncing when I don’t want it. And I’ll dig into the “Take Control” resource.

I recommend you turn off all DEVONthink syncing soonest and reset up only if needed.

and i hope your database on the local file system on Mac and not on a cloud drive that syncs. rely on TimeMachine for backup. or look into the menu commands in DEVONthink for backup. i recall the ebook and the Manual discusses backup strategy but i do not have at hand to confirm.

Go Buckeyes!

2 Likes