What is my sync store? (newbie)

I just bought the iOS version of the devonThink. I have had the macOS app for a few days and I want to link the two. My sync store (I think) is on dropbox. Both the iOS app and the Mac app have dropbox access. However, when I try to link the iOS app to my dropbox account it is asking me for a sync store. On my macOS app there is no sync store mentioned.

There is, however, an encryption password that I do not remember entering. How do I find out what that is, so I can enter the same thing on my iPad?

thx

Welcome @davidsi

On my macOS app there is no sync store mentioned.
Did you set up a sync location in DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sync?
If so, you had to have created - and named - a sync store (location).

Start by checking there.

I added my dropbox under “locations” but did not specifically create a store, did not name one and did not actually see a place to do so

under “databases” the two databases show with the dropbox icon, are greyed out and under “local”

You had to have created and named one.

under “databases” the two databases show with the dropbox icon, are greyed out and under “local”

With a Dropbox icon??

Please post a screen capture of DEVONthink’s Preferences >Sync with the sync location selected.

PS: Sync is covered in the built-in Help > Documentation > In & Out > Sync or the manual.
Sync for DEVONthink To Go is covered in its built-in Help > Sync your databases or its manual.

sorry, I was mistaken, it’s not a dropbox icon – but it is blue :frowning:

• This shows you created a sync location you named devonThink. This is the exact name you should be entering in the sync setup for DEVONthink To Go.

• It has no encryption key or you’d see a small key icon to the right of the sync location’s name. So you should not be entering an encryption key in DEVONthink To Go.

• The development database open in DEVONthink has synced.

• The Inbox is in the process of syncing or attempting to sync.

Is anything reported in Window > Log?

the log …

Shouldn’t I be seeing something in my dropbox account? There is a folder named devonThink but nothing is in it. (I might have created that manually when trying to figure this out)

the log …

Did you set up the sync location in DEVONthink or DEVONthink To Go first?

Shouldn’t I be seeing something in my dropbox account? There is a folder named devonThink but nothing is in it. (I might have created that manually when trying to figure this out)

No you shouldn’t. In fact you shouldn’t have any local sync data. Per the Help > Documentation > In & Out > Sync > Dropbox

I set up first on the Mac. (Devon think)

You seem to have entered a key and removed it then.

1. Do a Spotlight search for Keychain and open the Keychain Access application.
  2. In the logins section on the left, look for a key named DEVONcloudy Encryption (name of service) like DEVONcloudy Encryption (Dropbox).
  3. Double-click it and check the Show password checkbox. You will be required to enter your Administrative password. (This is the password you use to log into your machine with.)
  4. Press Allow (or Always Allow, if desired) and the password will be shown.
  5. Take note of the password, then quit Keychain Access.

Then in DEVONthink’s sync preferences, Control-click the sync location, choose Show Info, and enter the key you found.

thx, I think that is working now.

You’re welcome.
Remember, you must use the same store name and encryption key in DEVONthink To Go as well.