What is the best way to migrate from iCloud (Legacy) to iCloud (CloudKit)

Indeed that’s why most people are seeing too!
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think I’ve successfully switched from Legacy to CloudKit. However, I removed the Legacy sync location without knowing that I should have cleaned the location first. Does that mean I have unnecessary leftover data in my iCloud somewhere? If so, how can I remedy that?

Welcome @michaelf

Yes, that means you have unused sync data on Apple’s servers still.

1. Add and enable the legacy location again.
  2. Make sure no databases are syncing to it.
  3. Control-click the sync location and choose Clean Location.
  4. When the sync has reported successfully in Window > Log, you can remove the legacy location.
2 Likes

Done, @BLUEFROG. Thank you!

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

What does Clean the legacy location on the Mac mean, specifically:

How do I do it?
What does it do?

Thank you

In DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sync on the Mac, right-click the sync location and choose Clean Location. This removes the sync data in that location. The clean should be successfully reported in Window > Log.

Thank you!

No problem :slight_smile:

After “cleaning” those Legacy locations, can they be removed?

Thanks.

Yes, indeed thay can be removed.

I have “Cleaned” all my locations, and my DT on my MB Mini and the MB Air “may” finally be syncing. I am not sure due to the Inbox not syncing correctly, yet. The DTTG on my iPhone only show the “Inbox”, and does not even list the two databases I use. What do do?

what method of sync are you using? did you follow the exact procedure as outlined in the DEVONthink Manual for that method?

I believe I did, but until this mess is working, I am not 100% sure. I am using CloudKit, started one machine at a time after cleaning all positions.

If the databases aren’t already in DEVONthink To Go, they will only be listed in the sync location once they have been entirely synced by the other device - the Mac in this case.

Thanks, how long should it take for the desktop and laptop to sync? Also, am I correct that the Inbox on each machine should sync?

The tie it would take depends on the number and size of the databases, as well as external variables like server responses and the quality of the network connection.

We are teacking some throttling behavior from Apple’s servers, so syncing one database at a time is strongly suggested.

And yes, the Inbox is just another database and should sync like the rest.

How do you upgrade to version 3.6.2? I’m still using version 3.5.2, but every time I try to check for updates DEVONthink tells me that my software is up-to-date and no newer version was found.

See DEVONtechnologies | DEVONthink, professional document and information management for the Mac and iOS and download, install, etc.

Sorry, I had assumed that I could probably try to download the latest version manually, but I generally prefer to install updates from within the app itself. Is there a reason why DEVONthink 5.3.2 would think that it’s already up-to-date?