What is the symbolism of the sea shell in the devonthink icon?

Hello, good morning everyone!

I know this is a seemingly trivial question, but I have a question and I hope someone is interested in discussing it. I’m intrigued by the true meaning of the Devonthink app icon.

I have two interpretations in mind:

The first: the representation of the divine golden ratio and classical scholastic studies (the one that attracts me most) (engraved copyist monk).

The second: a worship of nature (paganism) (engraved ouroboros).

I would like to know your opinion.

As a Fine Arts student, I use Devonthink for my academic and personal projects in the artistic field. What is your perspective on this?

Thank you for sharing your ideas!

Neither. It’s a critter from the Devonian geological period.

7 Likes

Oh what a shame. so it’s the second option :shushing_face:

No. It’s neither of your suggested options. As @kewms correctly pointed out, it’s just a stylized nautilus. There is no deeper meaning than that.

1 Like

As a geologist (retired) I can advise that the Nautilus appeared in the Late Triassic period over 200 million years ago. The Devonian period preceded the Triassic. The Nautilus is often described as a “living fossil” but it’s a beautiful creature. The Devonian period is when the first tetrapods (four-limbed animals) appeared on land.

3 Likes

Indeed, it is beautiful in an otherworldly way and presents a lovely shape to design with :slight_smile:

A terrific radio show, now podcast, on all this: BBC Radio 4 - In Our Time, The Fish-Tetrapod Transition