What primary launcher utility are you using?

Keyboard Maestro +1

If I’m opening just one app, I use Spotlight. Very simple, and free.

I use Keyboard Maestro to open groups of apps in pre-set window positions. I save them as menu items, so all I have to do to invoke a set of windows just where I want them is to click on the Keyboard Maestro applet in the menu bar, and click on the one I want.

1 Like

I tried Alfred during the period I thought Launchbar a bit neglected. I am back to Launchbar I didn’t make the learning curve with Alfred and as you know, I do a lot inside DEVONthink 3 now anyway.

Keyboard Maestro!

Very early on, I used Launchbar, then switched to Alfred in early 2012 and used that for 10 years.
A few months ago, I switched to Raycast and have to admit that this very young app is already miles ahead of Alfred. My setup is now better and richer than it has ever been with Alfred, because Raycast’s extensions (currently more than 650) just don’t stop working randomly (or with version updates) and already have more than I need. I don’t have to hunt for actively updated Alfred workflows that still work. Huge time saver. Their integrated features alone replaced several apps I had running, like window managers such as Magnet.

Some screenshots of my setup for inspiration:

7 Likes

Keyboard Maestro is handy. A few minutes ago I wrote a KM macro I think I’ll use.

Imagine you have MindNode and Devonthink both open.

Choose a node in MindNode, goto Devonthink and select a document.

I set Option-Command-L to copy the Devonthink item link, switch back to MindNode and choose either Edit > Add Link or Edit > Edit Link (whichever is currently there) and pastes in the Devonthink item link.

The idea is to build a mind map referencing documents in one or more DT databases.

Works great!

The extensibility is impressive. I may give it a 2nd look. Thanks.

2 Likes

Yeah, they already have more than 650 extensions, so chances are high that needs are covered. I couldn’t go back.

Just an aside. It looks like you are using hyperkey for some of your shortcuts in Raycast. Which hyperkey app do you use? Reason I’m asking because the last time I tried Raycast my BetterTouchTool’s hyperkey worked inconsistently with it whereas it works fine with Alfred.

Can’t top Alfred in my experience. Has so many user made workflows that if I ever think of something Id like to use it for, invariably someone else has too and made a workflow for it.

I also use it to launch many of my keyboard maestro macros. There are quite a few of those that I don’t use often enough to really memorise a keyboard shortcut, so launching them from Alfred makes things a lot easier.

I’ve had a go at Raycast a couple of times, and I like what they’ve done in terms of it being far more interactive with the way workflows happen. However every time I try it, I find a couple of key things that it doesn’t do that I cant live without. If they reach workflow parity with Alfred I’d probably switch over for better aesthetics, but its not there yet for my case use.

4 Likes

I just downloaded it and had a look at the DT workflow they offer. Though I’m comfortable with JavaScript (which is the only language raycast supports), I’m not comfortable with their scripting support.

Having to jump over the hurdles erected by TypeScript, node.js and an “osascript” API that may or may not be stable is just not a very enticing prospect for me. OTOH, it seems to be more versatile in terms of GUI so that using a raycast workflow might be easier than an Alfred one. Writing them, though, doesn’t seem a lot of fun.

2 Likes

I have BetterTouchTool installed (and completely depend on it for its gesture features), but I’m not remapping any keys with it. I also don’t use hyperkey/superkey. The hotkey pattern with all modifiers I use for Raycast just happens to look like I use an app like that. I’m comfortable enough with the hotkey that I never bothered looking into making this easier. Overall, I just use 3-5 patterns of “modifier combo + a-z” system-wide (including Raycast now) that don’t interfere with most apps / system features.
Sorry I couldn’t help with the issue you mentioned, but if it ever bothers you enough to contact support, I know that BetterTouchTool and Raycast are very fast to fix things.

I just use the finder.

I think you have more than enough software already :wink:

2 Likes

We all have our vices :slight_smile:

1 Like

:wink:

Indeed we do. You should see my drawer full of hard drives. I can’t look at the Best Buy app too often or I’ll be saying, “Well, it is 12TB and it’s only $229…” :smiley:

5 Likes

(Hope this helps… nothing :slight_smile: Finder.)

1 Like

Got it.

No worries. It didn’t bother me that much after I realised how dependent I am on universal actions in Alfred and went back to it.

It’s all good (and interesting) data. Thanks for participating.

Yeah, that’s a good feature. Since it only shipped recently (a year ago?) I didn’t miss it that much after switching, but Raycast are looking at my feature request for it. Currently, all quicklinks have the same functionality, they just need their own hotkey instead of a “universal” one.