What to do with inconsistencies

I have a fairly big database of 36 GB, 19.000.000 words / 700.000 different words, and it has 2 inconsistencies. I cannot repair the database with the tools provided, so the only solution seems to be to rebuild the entire database. This is quite a big project and my question is: is there another solution? Is it necessary to get rid of the inconsistencies? I do not find any answers to these questions in the documentation/forums. I would love to hear your opinions!
Best regards, Per

Was anything logged to Windows > Log?

Only this, repeatedly:
08.02.22, 12:03:36: DEVONthink All Datenbank-ĂśberprĂĽfung fehlgeschlagen, bitte reparieren Sie die Datenbank.
Nothing more.

In that case it’s logged by the synchronization and an important inconsistency (e.g. duplicate identifiers) which has to be fixed. If repairing isn’t successful and emptying the trash shouldn’t help either, then the only remaining possibility is to rebuild the database.

OK, I have to take the hard way then! Can you just choose “rebuild database” and let Devonthink do its thing or do you have to monitor the process?

DEVONthink won’t require any user interaction while rebuilding but creating a backup of the database first might be a good idea (just in case).

Ok, thank you everybody! :pray: :grinning: :grinning: I have a lot of backups so I will be fine.

1 Like

Unfortunately I am back again!
I let Devonthink rebuild the big database and it went smooth.
The log shows that there are a lot of files missing “Datei fehlt”. Do I have to react on this in anyway?
And what about the message “Fehlgeschlagen”?
And when the process was finished I got this message:

Bild

So what do I do now?

I have a quite small database where there is one inconsistency. Same problem: repair didn’t work and after a rebuild of the database the coincidence was still there. This’s :thinking: :weary: :frowning_face:

I think I found the problem: after rebuilding the database you have to find missing files in the log, move them to the trash and empty the trash. Is this normal procedure? At least: repair succeeded, no problems left! :smiley: :smiley:

Issues related to the trash are also reported as it’s part of the database. Were these missing files maybe outdated indexed files?

Yes, and this is documented in Help > Documentation > Troubleshooting > Repairing a defective database > Missing Files.

1 Like