What to do with the `DEVONtech_storage` files in a template packages when I only keep folders?

I try to modify a given template package.

I have read DEVONtechnologies | Build Group Hierarchies with Templates and understand that I can just change a template package in Finder/Terminal to my liking. That’s great.

However, I have created my template package via File > Export > as Template and it contains some proprietary DEVONtech_storage files. Because I want to keep only the folder structure (no document files), I want to delete all the none-folder files in there.

I’m not sure how to handle the DEVONtech_storage files. The manual says “If you will not be reimporting the exported files, you can safely delete .DEVONtech_storage files.” but I do want to reimport the folders via New from Template.

What do I do with the DEVONtech_storage files in the template package? – Any pointers are appreciated!

The manual says “If you will not be reimporting the exported files, you can safely delete .DEVONtech_storage files. ” but I do want to reimport the folders via New from Template .

I’m not sure what’s confusing here since the opposing situation is implict: “If you will [not] be reimporting the exported files…".
This is a situation you go on to say is exactly what you want to do. So leave them alone if you’re using them in DEVONthink.

PS: This is 100% easily tested in your environment.

2 Likes

Ok, I am just worried because in Finder/Terminal I’m going to delete the document files. So for example I have:

EuropeTravels.dtTemplate:
drwxr-xr-x  5     160 04-01 10:41 Europe2023-II/
-rw-r--r--  1     272 04-01 14:57 DEVONtech_storage

EuropeTravels.dtTemplate/Europe2023-II:
drwxr-xr-x  9     288 03-31 16:55 Flights/
drwxr-xr-x  6     192 2023-08-01  Travel Insurance/
-rw-r--r--  1     433 04-01 14:57 DEVONtech_storage

EuropeTravels.dtTemplate/Europe2023-II/Flights:
drwxr-xr-x 14     448 03-20 18:54 Flight Options/
-rw-r--r--  1    126k 2023-07-27  Check-in CBR-MEL.pdf
-rw-r--r--  1    1.3k 04-01 14:57 DEVONtech_storage

When I delete Check-in CBR-MEL.pdf from the template, will the DEVONtech_storage on the same level corrupt things in the DEVONthink database during the “New from template” action?

Why are you doing stuff in Terminal?

The .dtTemplate is just a package file you can access in the Finder and remove the unneeded documents. There should be no harm in leaving the DEVONtech_storage files alone.

1 Like

Just confirming: It all works well, when I just remove my documents from the folder structure and leave ty\he folders and the DEVONtech_storage in place.

Thanks for your patient help.

1 Like

You’re welcome.