Where's the location of images for markdown file?

If I use DT’s Web clipper to save webpage as markdown (normally I use clutter-free), after download, I cannot find where DT stored images (this webpage has some images), just showing like ![picture](5) in this .md file.

By the way, anyone can recommend for me, which format is most suitable for saving webpages to DT? Clutter free or not?

Thank you!

The native format for web pages is HTML
so DT formatted note or HTML
Web Archive is a more accurate replication of the web page

There are no images stored, just URLs that point to the images. Take a look at a markdown record in source view. At the bottom you’ll find the URL that ![picture](5) is pointing to.

1 Like

PDF is often the most acurate representation of a page.

2 Likes

Thank you for your explanation.

I compared “Formatted Note” and “Web Archive” with clutter-free turned on, the results seems to be almost same, but “Formatted Note” takes more space a little bit. For “Web Archive”, is it Safari.app’s format, any other cons for this format?

I’m thinking that I will be looking for a format that I can easily export out of DT without needing any conversion in case of turning to other app to organize all files one day (hopefully not). I don’t know if “Formatted Note” is only for DT itself? If yes, I think maybe it is not good choice for me.

My saved pages are needed to be editable(because some pages have too many images or paragraph that I don’t want to save them all), so PDF format is not suitable even though it is very good representation of a page.

For HTML format, no clutter-free mode, it is no good for me.

With my demands of “editable”, “neat and clean”, “all-in-one file”, “universal format”, Web Archive is my best choice, am I right?

Web archive are not a universal format. Also they may or may not contain all the resources of a page, like images. Dynamic content delivery in web pages can affect the results of the capture.

Thank you.

My demands are “editable”, “neat and clean”, “all-in-one file”, “universal format”, which format is suitable for me?

Formatted Note.

(At end is a HTML with embedded resources). You could use any html editor to modify it, not only in Apple ecosystem.

However, I’m a PDF fan because it is not modifiable, accepts annotations in standard format (the can be viewed and edited in most programs -even Windows/Linux), and will be here after, well 100 years?

Usually, PDFs are modifiable with the appropriate tools. Eg Acrobat. Which does not speak against using them to save Web pages.

Any disadvantage of Formatted Note? Like wikilink feature unusable?

I’m little confused why PDF is better than Formatted Note which can be highlighted or even any kind of modification directly in DT instead of opening Acrobat or PDFpen?

The original question was about Web clipping. Which is about capturing content, I thought. Now editing is another requirement…

If editing is essential, I’d go for markdown. With the caveat that images are not stored in the same file as the text itself. Very much like the original HTML, unless it uses data URLs. Which is not very common.

Don’t know. I don’t use wikilinks, but should be in DT documentation.

WikiLinks do not work in formatted notes.

2 Likes

PDF is my preferred format as it supports annotations and the summarize highlights feature.

However - PDF is not an option if your workflow includes mobile (DTTG) as mine does. The DTTG clipper does not support PDF, the native iOS PDF exports are borked (for eg links are broken) and no other workflow I’ve tried reliably gets a useful PDF into DEVONthink. So I’ve had to resort to Web Archives for now even though they are a deprecated format.

On desktop I like to use the SingleFile format when saving the HTML structure is important. It’s universally compatible and remarkably good at saving pages without the cruft. Unfortunately again, there’s no mobile workflow for this format that I’ve found.

With DTTG, a PDF is captured by using the share extension in most ios browsers, I use Brave and Safari. There is an option to Print in the share menu. When you see the page preview for the print, use the zoom gesture to view the page and ios will create a PDF. Now there is a share menu when viewing the pdf and that can be sent to DTTG. I use this frequently each week as many sites the markdown capture does not work well to represent the page.

It was my understanding that the web archive format can get large when it captures all the javascript excess on sites. That is why I use PDF if markdown does not work well. I also use the ios print preview to pdf trick to capture pdf to DTTG.

1 Like

This method works for capturing the text & images of a page, but the links in the PDF are all broken. It’s been a bug since Apple changed the share sheet in iOS 12 or 13. DTTG also can’t capture the source URL using this method.

Thanks. I just tried it and when I do it from Brave instead of Safari, the name of the captured item happens to be the url. If I do the same thing with Safari, I get the page title?? as the name of the captured item.