Which e-book readers do you use on your iPad?

Slightly off-topic, feel free to shut me up.

I am currently alternating between Kindle, iBooks and DevonThinks ToGo own PDF reader, and am in the market for alternatives - ideally getting the number of apps down to one :slight_smile:

Thank you!

1 Like

It’s a free-forum to exchange ideas, so no worries!

It depends on what you want to do.

I prefer analog books by far, but I on occasion will read in iBooks and also use DEVONthink To Go for PDFs I need to proofread/annotate.

1 Like

Kindle, GoodReader for PDFs considering DT as a replacement but haven’t made the switch yet

GoodReader comes up a lot, when I ask this questions. For yet to be determined reasons, it doesn‘t click with me.

Reading-wise I much prefer LiquidText. It was build to read, not to display PDFs. Give it a spin: https://www.liquidtext.net

My issue with it: These beautiful annotations can only by exported as a Word document. Yeah, I don‘t get it, too.

1 Like

I am also a big fan of LiquidText. In a pinch I may import into GoodNotes.

1 Like

I really like MapleRead. Loads of functionality but not at all overwhelming. There is a nice TidBits article on reading on the iPad and referencing MapleRead:

Better than the Printed Page: Reading on an iPad.

Also use BookFushion to get a nice detailed and visual overview of my epub/PDF collection.

I use Books

Bill

I use PDFs as much as possible because annotating while I read is important to me. They live in DT but I prefer to read with Highlights or MN3/PDF Expert.

The latter two because they are the only apps I’ve found that actually attempt converting the PDF to a “dark mode” and I read a lot at night. I’m sure it’s difficult to implement well but I’m surprised it’s not a more requested feature of PDF apps, maybe the rest of the world just has better sleep/electronics hygeine than me :slightly_smiling_face:

I love LiquidText, it’s phenomenal.

There is an option to embed your visual notes into the PDF on saving, which could be an option.

I am still baffled how LiquidText only offers MS Word export of notes. I want plain text please!

Going to try MapleRead. Thank you @Feuizl.

LiquidText’s export options are indeed limiting and, I suspect, the result of business decisions signalling their intent on serving the enterprise market (and perhaps making the product/business more attractive for future acquisition by a certain 800-lb gorilla which shall remain unnamed).

In any case, docx documents are indexed and rendered very well in DT3, I find that I rarely make notes on my note extracts, and DT3 in any case has a “Convert to Plain Text” (or other formats of your choice) in the contextual menu.

I sometimes use the PDF option mentioned by @davem, but only because it reminds me somewhat of EN’s annotation function and I can click on the notes to bring me to the location on the PDF it came from, useful perhaps for academic papers.

But in reality, DT3’s search is powerful enough that I can home into text within any PDF (that’s not scanned images yet-to-be OCR’d), hence I am really agnostic about which tool created the markups (although my PDF reader du jour is PDF Expert on an iPad Pro). This query capability is why I paid good money for DT3.

Kindle. It’s the path of least resistance. It’s good enough.

I have an obsolete iPad mini that I enjoy reading ebooks on. That’s about the only thing it’s good for; it’s too slow for anything else.

I keep meaning to check out alternatives to break out of the Amazon ecosystem. In particular, I’d like to find non-DRM, recent ebooks – ePub or PDF format rather than Amazon’s format.

Kindle.
Marvin (I really love it) for epub.
PDF Expert for PDFs.

It depends… I like reading on my Kobo eReader because it is lightweight and easier in the eyes than an iPad. But when I need to annotate I generally use the iPad with DTTG, the downside is no dark mode at this moment.

I manage all my eBooks I buy in Calibre which removes the DRM if necessary and can convert te books to PDF which I can add to DT.

I also have Goodreads, but do not see any added value for myself at this moment.

MarginNote is the best ! you can use Calibre (for desktop) to convert the book format .

Those thread is four years old. Best to open a new topic in this case, if you think it’s necessary.

yes,and i will make a list about it