Why does DTTG sync so many docs

Hi,

I am still not uncomfortable with the sync of DTTG and I’m interested in your opinion about the following.

I don’t understand the different sync status information - mostly it seems to do so much more than I expect it to do and there are different kind of syncing activities (syncing, indexing, then syncing again even if I thought its ready).

Now my DTTG is syncing for 30 minutes and it´s syncing my inbox with 1.500 documents (again). I can see that my latest document in DTTG is only 3 weeks old and there are only 5 new documents on my desktop. So I wonder why it wants to sync not 5 but over a thousand documents.

I am really afraid of inconsistency and broken documents or status information sync back to main database on the desktop. Could this be possible that DTTG corrupts / deletes documents even I never viewed or even touch them on DTT?

How does DTTG handles it if I cannot wait for syncing to be finished and leave the application or lock the phone while syncing - is it safe ?

reagards
Andreas

2 Likes

I cannot talk about your first issue because in my case, DTTG sync go flawless and logically, but your second question is clear to me: you can stop, restart, kill, lock, unlock, whatever while DTTG is running. It will resume and/or retry once opened next. At least my experience. Even after a crash, a thing that does not happens in Apple Store version but so and then in betas, it recovers without any issue.

And for your first issue, perhaps you need to wait until DTTG and DT finishes sync for first time (And yes, once you think it is finished, it continues doing more things, and then more things, as sync database is not a static thing). That is the “magic” of this: does not matter if you first modify a file in DTTG, then in DT, etc, at the final round of sync, it has your final version. And yes, viewing a file is modifying it because DTTG saves the reading position if you have enabled that in sync database -and it is on by default.

2 Likes

Sync issues might also be mitigated by using multiple smaller databases that take less time to sync individually, although it does limit the possibility to use replicates for example as they. cannot be used across databases.

Another benefit of using multiple databases when feasible, is that the chance of you loosing all your data is likely smaller in case one database somehow gets damaged (although of course in that case a proper backup should help you out primarily).

You could for example archive old and less frequently used documents in a separate archive database, although such choices obviously depend on your personal situation and use of DT(TG).

1 Like