Why does tagged documents still exist even though I have deleted the files within the folder?

Hi all, I recently did some house keeping of my devonthink3 - what I did was I have transferred the documents into my external hard disk and deleted the documents as per normal.

Having said that I noticed that the tags were active and I would like to ask are the documents saved twice - once in my folder and another as tagged?

How do I ensure that when I transfer the document it is done completely?

Thank you.

No, the files are not saved twice. Tags are not removed from a database’s top level Tags group when you delete files, even when you empty the database’s Trash (which you should do).

I see. Thank you for your reply. So does that mean that whenever I delete the file, I should empty the trash bin so that the tags are deleted?

Sorry about this . I usually go on a rampage in tagging any words that is associated with a file as I am scattered.

Could you point me to the best tagging practice - I would really like to avoid all these administrative hiccups as I am working through these kinks (ocd me is talking)

In my mind I just put in the folder and type the key words to summon it.

So does that mean that whenever I delete the file, I should empty the trash bin so that the tags are deleted?

No. As I mentioned, tags are not deleted just because a file is deleted. You’d need to delete the tags in the top-level Tags group for the database separately.

Could you point me to the best tagging practice - I would really like to avoid all these administrative hiccups as I am working through these kinks (ocd me is talking)

Tagging is covered in the Getting Started > Tagging section of the Help and manual.

We also blogged on tagging more than once. Here are two…

In my mind I just put in the folder and type the key words to summon it.

In the toolbar search?