Won't Save Web Page as WebArchive or PDF

Devonthink Personal (for the couple of years I’ve been using it) has always had the ability to save a webpage – I could paste the url in the Devonthink window, visit the webpage, and SAVE as a webarchive or SAVE as a pdf. Now, suddenly, the past two weeks, there is no SAVE option.

The “Save” icon in the Devonthink toolbar is no longer ‘clickable’ - like it used to be - i.e. the “Save” icon is greyed out, and cannot be clicked.

There is also no longer an option to save as pdf.

I’ve scoured the forums and support docs and cannot find a remedy.

Could someone please provide step by step instructions to revive the ability to “Save” as webarchive and “Save” as pdf….

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 10.8

You can save your webpage in Safari as a web archive - File>Save as. I have the Office version (I don’t think this makes a difference for the function) and you can save a note as a PDF by choosing the File>print and as the following picture shows you click the PDF option in the bottom left of the dialogue window. This will allow you to save you file as a PDF. It also allows you to send it to other programs as a PDF document.

Let me know how you make out with this.
Print as a method to save doc as PDF.tiff (135 KB)

Thanks. But I want to save webarchives and pdf’s, as I’ve always done, from inside Devonthink, then drag and drop directly to my Devonthink folders.

Saving a safari webpage as a webarchive then transferring the saved webarchive into the appropriate DevonThink folder requires a multi-step process, thereby defeating the purpose of Devonthink.

I’ll re-post. Thanks for your info.

Original Post Below:

Devonthink Personal (for the couple of years I’ve been using it) has always had the ability to save a webpage – I could paste the url in the Devonthink window, visit the webpage, and SAVE as a webarchive or SAVE as a pdf. Now, suddenly, the past two weeks, there is no SAVE option.

The “Save” icon in the Devonthink toolbar is no longer ‘clickable’ - like it used to be - i.e. the “Save” icon is greyed out, and cannot be clicked.

There is also no longer an option to save as pdf.

I’ve scoured the forums and support docs and cannot find a remedy.

Could someone please provide step by step instructions to revive the ability to “Save” as webarchive and “Save” as pdf….

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 10.8

You have to capture pages into DEVONthink first. I really have no experience with DEVONthink Personal, but I don’t recall that the save icon in the toolbar ever did this-it saves changes to edited documents that are already in the database.

Don’t look for any ‘Save as’ commands. In DEVONthink Pro Office I would paste the URL in a Web view and then right-click in the page. Select either the ‘Capture PDF’ or ‘Capture Web Archive’ option. To save the text of the page as a RTF document, select the text you want to capture, right-click, and select ‘Capture Note’. I assume the commands in DEVONthink Personal are the same.

Thanks. I’ve been using Devonthink Personal for nearly two years. It has always opened a url from inside the Devonthink window, then allowed me to save the webpage as a webarchive or pdf, and assign it to a Devonthink folder. All without ever leaving the Devonthink window.

The above “save” process was executed by clicking the “save” icon in the Devonthink toolbar. Now, after two years, the “save” icon is no longer clickable.

The option to save a webpage as a pdf is also no longer available. (and, again, it has been for the past two years.)

Thank you for the info. I’ll re-post for instructions on how to revive the ability to “save” a webpage as a webarchive and pdf.

Try this. Right click on your Toolbar and choose from the drop down dialogue the icons Webarchive and PDF and pull them to a place on your Toolbar. If you drop a URL say from Safari into DEVONthink it comes in as a bookmark (uses very little space). Now click that bookmark say with the Toolbar button Webarchive and it will duplicate the bookmark and you will now see it is a WebArchive. Now go back to the original bookmark item and click PDF on the Toolbar. it will duplicate the item as a PDF. You will have three items from that URL now. File them as you’d like.

The other methods I previously mentioned work also. I see nothing though in my menus that would do what these icons do. I’m running V 2.4.3. Let me know if you have the same version and if you found those icons and whether it worked.

I forgot to mention, that if you have in Safari the Clip to Devonthink extension on Safari you will have a DEVONthink icon in Safari that you can click. This will bring up a dialogue in which you fill out various info and choose how you want it sent to DEVONthink e.g. PDF, Webarchive etc. It should come into your inbox with what you choose. Highlight the item and choose the info button (on Toolbar - round blue icon with an I in the middle). This will give you more info on these three files you’ve created in DEVONthink.
Dialogue box %22Clip to Devonthink%22.tiff (51.9 KB)

Finally, you can open a DEVONthink browser window and those same icons will be in it and you can convert the file.

Select all or a portion of an HTML Web page, then capture as WebArchive using the keyboard shortcut “Command-%”, or as rich text using the keyboard shortcut “Command-)”.

This works in browsers that are compatible with those OS X Services, including Safari, DEVONagent Pro and DEVONthink. But other browsers including Firefox and Chrome don’t work.

I almost never want to capture an entire Web page, especially pages that contain material extraneous to the information I want to capture.