I use Devonthink for everything. I have 9 Databases and 3 large monitors.
I use a Streamdeck and its URL function to assign buttons to access various groups assigning one group to each button. I get the “URL” from Devonthinks “Copy Item Link” Feature. Works great, no scripting, super easy to set up and modify. I have hundreds of such links on my Streamdeck, all grouped on their own page by topic.
I also use workspaces. I love them as I can open several Devonthink windows at once across multiple monitors. This is a huge timesaver. However, I believe there are no Devonthink links for workspaces
I know I can get roughly the same functionality by assigning Keyboard commands to workspaces, but I can only do that for 9 workspaces. I would like to be able to do it for an unlimited number of workspaces. When you have multiple monitors, the workspace feature is wonderful. Saves tons of time.
Is there a way to do this without scripting? Would it be possible to add “Item Links” for workspaces in a future update?
That’s one possibility. But you could also assign additional shortcuts or change the default shortcuts via System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts.
Thanks. But that’s messy if want 50 or so workspaces. That’s where I am.
Feature Request: Is it a possibility to create links to workspaces?
It’s not planned currently but maybe in a future release (depending on interest).
In what case would you need 50 workspaces?
That seems unusually high.
Question: Is there a “Maximum” Number of workspaces allowed in Devonthink? Can you have 5? 100? 200? More?
Since Bluefrog asked…
I use DEVONTHINK for everything. I have 30+ gb in 10 databases.
I have two 4K Monitors surrounding one Ultra-wide 5K monitor
I have two 8* 32 Elgato STREAM DECKS, each with a large number of 8*4 profiles (pages) of Buttons.
- The Right STREAM DECK is user-driven.
- The Left STREAM DECK is driven by the Active app. It automatically switches the profile for that app. I also have an index page and can access any app profile manually.
Having STREAM DECK Application profiles lets me use labeled buttons to remember what that app can do. I also have buttons for each app that do multi-step things. No more remembering hundreds of keystrokes!
I use KEYBOARD MAESTRO to automate everything I can. I have hundreds of macros. Many of these macros are activated by a STREAM DECK Button.
I’m into “Contextual” computing
- I do many complex tasks on a repeated basis. Some daily, some weekly, some monthly some on-demand, etc… Many involve multiple apps, multiple windows or both.
- I want 1 button to “set up” my computer for these ongoing repeated tasks - I call this a “Context.”
- I want the Context to be the same each time I do the tasks.
- I want to easily modify any of my “Contexts.”
I use KEYBOARD MAESTRO to set up Contexts that involve multiple applications. I have a series of sub-macros for window placement.
Many of my “Contexts” use DEVONTHINK. I often have from 2 to 5 DEVONTHINK windows open to specific DEVONTHINK Groups spread across my 3 monitors.
- Often I’ll put app-specific files in a DEVONTHINK Group (excel, Mind maps, Omni Outliner, etc…) that I may need to access. Double-click that file and it opens in its native app. Some of my groups contain a series of bookmarks I may also need to access as part of that Context.
This approach saves me a huge amount of time. No more window administration and no more “remembering how I did this” or “where stuff is”." One STEAM DECK button press and I’m set.
How I do it now
– DEVONTHINK: Create a WORKSPACE usually with multiple windows positioned as I want them on my 3 monitors. Each window opens to the group I pre-select. Super easy to modify any workspace at anytime - just change it and save it. Even easier to modify the content in any of the pre-selected groups.
– KEYBOARD MAESTRO: Create a one-line macro that activates a DEVONTHINK workspace. Keyboard Maestro has a “menu” macro step which lets me select a menu item from any application - even submenus. Since this command shows the text of the menu if you name your DEVONTHINK Workspaces well, it is self-documenting.
– STREAM DECK: Assign the Keyboard Macro to a Button on the STREAM DECK. All of my buttons are color coded with text labels - no remembering what hundreds of icons mean.
How I used to do it:
Started with Programming multi-step actions on my STREAM DECK: to open DEVONTHINK and goto a keyboard shortcut. This was both tedious and hard to keep current. It was not intuitively obvious which keystrokes go with which workspaces. I quickly got bogged down as the number of Contexts increased.
Moved to creating “Context” macros in KEYBOARD MAESTRO. This involved creating windows, moving them around, then setting the DEVONTHINK Group in each window. Doable, but very time-intensive and difficult to modify each individual context. These macros were complex.
Now just doing what I described above. Super quick, self-documenting, and easy to modify. Obviously, I hope there is no limit to the number of Workspaces I can have.
This should help show what I am trying to do