xls files

;D

It would be great, to be able to view and edit
xls spreedsheet files, and do searches on them within
DT.

Richard
::slight_smile:

We agree. Unfortunately, the Excel file format is completely proprietary and can only be read by one application: Excel itself. Sure, OpenOffice and some others can read .xls files, but only to a certain extend. Also, embedding the complete Excel functionality into DEVONthink would blow it up insanely.

We will have the possiblity to create tables in DEVONthink Pro, though.

Eric.

[quote]
Tables, YES… YES, that would be excellent,

Richard

And of course DT Pro will read CSV/TSV files - and therefore you could export your spreadsheets to such files and import them afterwards into DT Pro.

Speaking of which…

Do we have an estimate for DT pro’s arrival?

:wink: :slight_smile:

DT 1.8 and "DT Lite" (will get a different name) will be released first :wink: (version 1.8 coming this week).

Is DT "lite" the current DT? I’m confused…???

I was wondering when the "Pro" version might see the light…

No. “DT Lite” will be a product with a unique name - it’s not DT PE. And DT PE already includes some features which were initially part of the Pro edition, e.g.

• PDF support
  • Word support (using Panther or AntiWordService)
  • Fast database initialization, caching of internal values
  • Note pad/Outline views
  • Retrieval of similar words based on context
  • At least simple AppleScript support
  • WebKit integration and simple Quicktime integration

The new database format of v1.8 is another thing we wanted to introduce with DT Pro - we didn’t expect people to create databases with up to 1 GB of data :wink: Therefore we have to add other/new/more features to DT Pro :smiley:

But as soon as DT 1.8, DA 1.2.1 and “DT Lite” will be available (within the next 10 days), we’ll focus all our efforts on DT Pro. I’ll promise :slight_smile: