Zotero + DevonThink - i thought i was gonna be clever but i think it's not possible

Yep, that’s what I commented above ha ha

After months of over 200% CPU, I finally pinpointed it to WindowServer caused by the Keystone Service

@Silva what OS/browser you use for Paperpile?

Hi, this is really interesting, thank you. Would you be able to link to a guide for how to set the Download Bibliographic Metadata up? I’ve managed to create a smart rule but can’t get it to work. I’ve looked for more info online and in the help menu and can’t find much, but that’s probably my fault.

Thank you in advance!

Ed

1 Like

The action Execute Script > External > Download Bibliographic Metadata is sufficient, the triggers and conditions can be chosen in any way. To test the rule and its action drag & drop some documents containing a DOI onto the rule in the sidebar. The downloaded & added custom metadata can be viewed in the Info > Custom inspector afterwards.

Bookends is great, unless you do legal research. Zotero supports blue book citations better than even Endnotes. Bookends doesn’t support it at all.

2 Likes

@uimike. I do not use Chrome. I use Edge. You can use Vivaldi or Brave. It seems Paperpile will be available in Safari as well in the future. In my experience, it is the best reference manager available.

1 Like

No. It is not restricted to Chrome. You can use Edge, Vivaldi and others. It seems a version to Safari will be available in the next couple of months.

Perhaps that is why Paperpile is very efficient compared to other reference managers. Endnote and others are moving to become web services but they do not work well with DT.

Perfect, thank you!

this looks awesome–thank you so much! going to try these out now

I’ve installed Brave and have been playing with Paperpile, very nice indeed.Very smartly designed. One small issue/need I have though is to be able to keep my pdf in Devonthink - with Zotero I could do that (by indexing in DT) - is there a way you can do it in Paperpile?

Christian, I haven’t been able to get Benoit’s script to run.
The script uses ShaneStanley’s Dialog Toolkit Plus 1.1.2, and after adding it to my ~ script library OR script addition’s folders (just in case), Benoit’s script gives me an error…

Any ideas why this might be happening? MacOS Monterey here, Intel Mac

capt_15475

I

Remember that’s Benoit’s script.

• Where did you install the addition?
  • Does DEVONthink have Full Disk Access?
  • Does the issue persist after a machine reboot or logging out and back in?

Yep, the issue was solved now with Ed Stockly at latenisghtsoftware helping me debug. The library script had disappeared from the folder, rather mysteriously, and I had to add it again. It is now working nice!

(and of course Benoit rocks!)

Now… knowing I’m risking being plainly abusive, any chance of a like script that grabs a pdf’s DOI and returns a pretty formated reference? :slight_smile:

Although it’s not too much trouble to manually copy the DOI and paste it into ZoteroBib to get the prettyfied reference.

Paperpile PDFs are saved in Google Drive. If you make Google Drive local, then you can index the folder in DT and everything works as one single system. Enjoy it!

ah, cool, many thanks!!

This is a super helpful thread. Just like (I imagine) many people, I have been scouring the DT forums here and elsewhere on the web for help about how to make Zotero and Devonthink work together. I’ve sort of given up, or rather realized/remembered what they’re for.

Devonthink is for doing and organizing all the research and notes. Which is most of the work.

Zotero is just for citations and reference management: pulling bibliographic info and PDFs from the web. Then I drag the PDF to DT and never worry about the Zotero copy again.

Still: Zotero’s ability to generate a bibliography for your project instantly, and even better the RTF scan feature to do all your citations for you? As Mastercard used to say, priceless.

2 Likes