3 Pane view in DT3

Definitely. There are no plans to bring back 3-pane view, only plans to improve the new sidebar and user interface. And that includes fixing shortcomings.

3 Likes

Version 3.0 introduced preferences to use the old inbox/tags layout (in case of tags it’s a hidden preference).

what is a “hidden preference”? Where is it hidden?

Would it be an option to allow 3-pane view as an option for users who want/need it? Or why is DT so strict in not allowing 3-pane view anymore? Are there technical or UI reasons, just to understand why this concept has been removed in DT3.

1 Like

See appendix of help.

The first reason is that it definitely does not fit into the new UI layout/concept, the second is that the code base of version 3 is completely different to the one of version 2 (and a lot better). And finally, instead of looking back we’re trying to improve the new user interface (or fix its shortcomings).

1 Like

Theoretically this could be merged into one preference, there were a lot more inbox-related requests than for tags. But I’m not sure whether anyone really wants to enable only one of the options and not both.

It’s sufficient to close the window(s) and to open them again.

You “are trying to improve the new user interface”, but maybe one should also be ready to listen to customers. I belong to the big group of users who relied on the Three Panes View. Why do I’ve to force myself to work as you think I should?

See also http://www.organizingcreativity.com/2019/09/devonthink-3-where-the-heck-is-devonthink-going/comment-page-1/?unapproved=82044&moderation-hash=13fdf3d9f50e54fa7df4cf0279e4569f#comment-82044

4 Likes

Given my some thirteen years of experience with DT and devontech’s development approach in various beta programs, I’m totally sure that all will be fine, users will be heard, features implemented, gaps addressed, bugs fixed.

During the beta phase, it’s been discussed that the sidebar indeed lacked some of the features of the old left-pane-of-that-three-pane-view. But I’m glad DT2’s left-side mess of old-sidebar plus left-pane-of-that-three-pane-view is gone. At times, I miss the ability to focus on certain contexts (i.e., to show only a database or a certain folder and their subfolders) in the sidebar, keyboard navigation, multi-select, etc. I assume - and Christian already said so minutes ago - that at least some of these features will be implemented in subsequent releases of DT 3.

Overall, DT3 is remarkable release, and its UI is, dare I say, beautiful. Which I find more creativity-inspiring than the newly introduced minor chore of an increased frequency of vertical scrolling in the side-bar.

7 Likes

I have DisableUnifiedTags enabled, but Inbox only in the sidebar. The reason: I do not use local inboxes, so it is convenient to “hide” them in the sidebar’s globals. And I use tags extensively to set priorities for documents, so it’s helpful having them visible at the top of the database.

2 Likes

DT listens to customers better than most companies I deal with (for example, this forum). Besides, many of us customers are fine seeing 3-pane go — I tried it once and it felt like I got stuck in some 90s-era interface. :wink:

3 Likes

That is your experience, which is valid for you. The developer himself stated above that most of the staff at Devontechnologies used 3 Pane View.

The point being made here by some users is that you had a choice to use an alternative to 3 Pane View. Those of us who preferred 3 Pane View have now had that choice taken away. It seems counter-intuitive to remove options (especially such fundamental ones as work station set-ups), and some of us are now required to re-learn how we use the programme. Think about that for a second – what was second-nature in your working environment all of a sudden becomes an exercise in relearning view settings, organisational structure, etc. That can be frustrating, though this thread has been quite helpful in doing so. I think I’ll be able to adapt, but I’m not entirely certain yet as I haven’t been able to devote a huge amount of time to my databases lately. I’ve recently moved to a job with Windows only machines :disappointed:, and so am working on my databases in the evenings.

I came across this review of DT3 (from another lawyer, interestingly), which is effusive in its praise, with one or two exceptions. Guess what one of the exceptions is :wink:
https://www.40tech.com/2019/09/12/devonthink-3-review-from-a-lawyers-perspective/

4 Likes

DT 3 without 3 pane view — I’M SHOCKED — one of the most useful features for dealing with a huge number of files … useless to update … if it won’t return, there is no reason to upgrade …

1 Like

The developer himself stated above that most of the staff at Devontechnologies used 3 Pane View.

Where are you reading this?

if it won’t return, there is no reason to upgrade …

I’m assuming this is hyperbole, since there are many reasons to upgrade. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

A few posts above: 3 Pane view in DT3

Maybe not for him/her. It doesn’t matter how many new features there are – if the software doesn’t help you in your work (and if the feature you depended on for your work gets removed, that may be the case) there is no point in having the software. Something that is really, really useful to someone else may be utterly useless to me, I’m afraid.

5 Likes

I really appreciate all your screenshots but for me they look a little bit cleaned up with the collapsed folders. They don’t show the real problem.

Let me give you an example:
I have 5 Databases with 30 folders at the same level and I need to navigate between multiple folders in the different databases frequently.

This has been easy in V2 - you just have to click on the other database and you got back your last “frozen” view of the last working enviroment.

This is not possible anymore without a lot of scrolling and the need of constant reorientation.
It even get worse if you want to take use of the intelligent groups at the bottom of the sidebar.

What helps a little bit are the new back and forward buttons but it’s just a drop in the ocean.
I just want to know how DV want to give me back this options in future versions only with one sidebar.

I already gave one suggestion and this would be tabs on a higher level instead of just for the documents.
Are there plans for this ?

I don’t want to get convinced… I am looking for solutions and need to know if I should better stay in V2 then or if I just need to bridge some time trusting in a valid plan for further versions.

8 Likes

I ONLY used the three pane view.

10 Likes

Until now, DT listened to customers (I’ve been using DT for 15 years). Now, I wonder if that’s still the case.
I fail to see why anybody would be happy to see one option gone. It’s an option, so if you don’t like it, just use another view. We don’t all work in the same way. A piece of software should serve me. Not the other way around.

6 Likes

I don’t think it’s a great precedent to set, but I doubt DTech would abuse it – if it came down to contributing to a crowdfunding campaign to pay for the developer time in a relatively small company to put 3PV back into 3, I’d gladly contribute. I think there are enough of us that it would defray the costs reasonably spread among the orthodox 3PV faithful. Again, it’s certainly not the preferred option and I would much rather DTech just do it as a way of listening to their customers, but again (again) I doubt it would become a regular occurrence. I can’t think of another feature that it would be pertinent to. Hopefully, I don’t annoy too many people with the suggestion.

I’ve tried using the sidebar option set up with the suggestions above, and although not unusable it’s just not the same. Especially with db’s with a lot of groups and subgroups below them. I’d really, really like 3PV back.

I lived in three pane view as well. The mental dissonance caused by its departure is lessening with use, but I really do strongly prefer it. One of the key features that kept me with DT for many many years was its flexibility in how you look at your information. To be frank I am feeling a bit channeled right now into different ways of doing things that may not be optimal for my work, but have benefits that I may never need or use, sorta like when Apple messes with the finder. Different is not always improved.

To be frank if it wasn’t for the 64 bit issue I would seriously consider going back to DTPO and watching to see how DT3 unfolds from afar.

9 Likes