A real alternative to Dropbox

I use Sync, www.sync.com, and it’s been quite stable and reliable.

And the iOS apps can use it ?

Thanks

To DT guys, do you actually need Dropbox installed on a Mac to sync ? Or will the app use an API to sync ?

What size storage does the sync use ? Is it the entire Database or just a minimal conduit of data ?

Thanks

I agree with your assessment if iCloud synching. I switched to iCloud after getting notified of a substantial increase in my Dropbox charges, and so far it has worked flawlessly to keep all of my devices in synch.

1 Like

Yup, never had issues with iCloud either.

1 Like

No. Our sync engine doesn’t use the Dropbox application at all.

It is not merely copying the database to Dropbox and it is not “just a minimal conduit of data”. It is raw, chunked, and optionally encrypted sync data for the entire database. It will be in the general ballpark of the size of the contents of your database (as shown in File > Database Properties).

1 Like

Thanks, that may work for me.

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

FWIW: I’ve just been looking into alternatives to Dropbox myself, and this fairly recent (Feb 2019) MacWorld article is one the most helpful articles I’ve come across:

A real alternative to Dropbox - DEVONthink - DEVONtechnologies Community

Regarding Dropbox: “Dropbox was the go-to cloud storage and sync service eight years ago, but has since been surpassed by more robust, flexible, and affordable offerings from its competitors.”

They recommend Google One (formerly Google Drive), iCloud, and Microsoft OneDrive, depending on one’s scenario. They summarize costs and criteria that might lead one to prefer one to the others.

If any of these should be avoided for DT (I’m still using DT2), I’d appreciate learning that.

iCloud is and has been supported for some time (though it’s been problematic since iOS 13 and Catalina, and not just for us).

Neither Google Drive (or however they want to rebrand it) nor OneDrive is suitable for use with DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go syncing as neither offer WebDAV services.

Thanks for that clarification, Jim. That narrows down the options! :wink:

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

FYI, the link you embedded links to this forum and not the Macworld article.

Looking at Sync’s General Limits (General limits when using Sync), do I assume correctly that synching DT and DTTG wouldn’t work with this service due to no WebDAV support?

Oops, sorry about the bad link! Here it is: The best cloud storage services for Apple users | Macworld

Noting this, correct it wouldn’t be compatible:

Koofr supports webdav. I use it exclusively with Devonthink databases.

Has the experience been reliable for you?

I switched from Dropbox to iCloud a year ago as Dropbox sync issues when close to capacity, iCloud is working a treat

Syncing works flawlessly and speed is pretty good.