Actual link to files imported to DT?

Hi,
I have a problem with imported files that other programmes need to open or reach directly. Is there a way to find the actual link to the file? Or another smart way to solve my issue?

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes
Per

Please clarify what you’re trying to do and with what application. Thanks.

@BLUEFROG, thanks for your quick response! Here are some examples:

1. To import data from an excel-file into R, in my case using RStudio, I need to provide the correct path to the file. The DT link does not work.

2. When inserting an image file into Microsoft Word, I cannot find the file if imported to DT to insert.

@BLUEFROG ,

I am really interested in trying to find a way around this, as I am currently “forced” to have certain files stored outside of DT.

What about right-clicking the file, selecting "Show in Finder’ then using Applescript to create a link to the file?

Isn’t it the responsibility of R and Word to accept these DEVONthink links?

Best i think is to keep the files in the MacOS file system external to DEVONthink and then index them in.

I’m not sure 100% what you’re trying to do but you could as @woteva65 suggests right click to show in finder, then make sure you have view>show path bar or cmd-opt-P selected in the finder, then down on the bottom bar you can right click “copy file as pathname”. May be this would help?

2 Likes

Thanks @Grantst !

That’s exactly what I needed! I had tried “show in finder”, as @woteva65 also suggests, but I didn’t know how to copy the pathname.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Do note: If you have to do a database rebuild, the file path could change.

Thanks for the heads up! No problem though.