Add a new group while sorting documents

After adding new documents to DT, I often use DTTG to sort these files. I do this by moving them to the correct groups. Sometimes the correct group has to be created, so I have to go back and create the group. Afterwards I start again to move the files. Could you add a button to create a new group directly while moving the file?

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. Weā€™ll consider this for upcoming releases.

2 Likes

Thank you!

+1

This feature was the first and foremost thing I noticed to be missing while evaluating the use of the mobile companion app. Iā€™d really like to be able to scan a pile of documents at home and then sort them while Iā€™m on my commute to and from work. Looking forward to this addition - much more than any smart group feature :wink:

Welcome @VeryDisco

The request and vote is noted. Cheers!

+1
Thereā€™s a lot of friction in sorting items on DTTG for me, being able to create a new group in the Move menu would solve so much of it.

Welcome @WorldBookW

Thanks for offering your opinion on this.
Cheers!

1 Like

Hi @BLUEFROG ,

do you know some new about this suggestion? I sort my documents often while traveling. It would be amazing if one could create a new group while strolling through an complex group tree. Otherwise - as now - I have to navigate trough my groups recognizing that there is no exact group, so I have to go all the way back, create a new group and do overthink again from the beginning.

Best Fabian

ā€œYou have to go all the way backā€ where?

If youā€™re in a group in DEVONthink To Go and find you donā€™t have a desired group, you can create one in the current location.

You could always do a search on the database first with a kind: search prefix, e.g.,ā€¦

Beyond that, sorry but no there is still no option for creating a new group when filing items.

Hi @BLUEFROG,

thanks for your message. You answered my question with your last sentence, that there isnā€™t any further option to create groups while filling. Do you know why? I thinks itā€™s in general a pretty normal workflow to create a group while sorting the inboxes.

Best Fabian

When processing records in my Inbox, I often need to create a group for connected records
edit Itā€™s easier with Devonthink on a Mac
I added an icon to the toolbar
Just select the records, click the icon, the group is created containing the records
I then proceed with filing the group

Works with DEVONthink macOS, but not with DEVONthink to Go.

It is do-able with DTTG (create group > file the group)
but not as easy
I prefer to do such functions (filing) on the Mac

1 Like

Youā€™re welcome!

iOS is a different environment and experience than macOS. Some things arenā€™t as easy to implement, especially from a design standpoint since it has to accommodate smaller form factor devices too.

Iā€™m not saying it wonā€™t ever happen - itā€™s on our long list - but we donā€™t have a good solution at this time.

One example of how a similar product does this. Their ā€˜Move to Folderā€™ command brings up this menu.

1 Like

Understood, but the OP is looking for an easy solution on iOS.

This shows the menu when sorting a file and would be the perfect place for a ā€œadd a new groupā€ button.

Without this button, one starts to sort and after searching for the right group and recognising there isnā€™t any, you have to open the same place, add a group and start all over.

Looks like others have the same thoughts :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

At this juncture no point piling on ā€¦

1 Like

Hi Greg, this is exactly the way I am looking for. Unfortunately itā€™s another software ā€¦ this shouldnā€™t be so complicated for implementation!