Adding a PDF Signature

Does either DTPO or DT3 have the ability to add a signature to a PDF? If so, how, as I can’t find any info about it?

Can you clarify what you mean? As in your handwritten signature for signing documents?

Yo Jim,

Yes sir, a handwritten signature for signing a document, much like I would do in Preview or PDFPen.

Sorry, but no - that’s not currently supported in either 2 or 3. Interestingly, it’s the first request I’ve seen.

I assumed that it was available as I couldn’t find any documentation about it anywhere, but thought that I’d ask. I was hoping to use DT3 as a one-stop-shop, and complete and sign my PDFs with in the app, as opposed to having to open another app (Preview or PDFPen).

Development would have to weigh in on this, but the request is noted for sure.

1 Like

I second this request @BLUEFROG. I am storing PDFs that I have to sign in DT3.

@kappabear one option you have is to right-click the file in DT3 and choose “Open With…” and then use another application (Preview, PDFPen, etc.). Since I’m already in DT, it sure would be nice to have one-stop-shopping!

@paulwaldo, this is pretty much exactly what I’ve been doing, though it would be nice to not have to leave DT3.

I’d also like to be able to

• click a button in devonthink “add a signature” to a pdf

instead of what we do now:

• open the pdf externally in preview
  • signing the document in preview
  • printing the signed pdf in preview
  • selecting add to devonthink 3
  • move the signed pdf to correct group etc

All you need to do is steps 1 and 2 above. Then Save it in Preview. The version in DT3 will now have your signature.

URGENT The ability to add a secure digital signature to pdfs is of heightened importance because many users have lost the use of Adobe Acrobat Pro with the transition to Catalina. It would be a huge benefit to be able to use DT3 and not to have to subscribe to Adobe Acrobat DC or another 3rd party for users who need to be able to add their signature to pdfs.

As noted, this is possible with Apple’s Preview application but we may consider this in a future release.

This is exactly why I was asking about “roundtrip” to Preview the other day. (Which turns out to be pretty darn easy.)

Preview on the Mac not only allows you to save and apply signatures, I find the whole annotation experience someone smoother than what DT3 can offer. (Sorry guys, but at least DT3 plays well with others.)

I find the whole annotation experience someone smoother

Interesting. I keep thinking how cumbersome Preview annotation tools feel to me. Different strokes…

If it helps any, I also would really appreciate an ability to sign a PDF. At the moment it takes me longer to switch between applications than it does to actually sign the document, which is a pain. I’m not very tech-y, so I’m sure what looks a simple add to me is anything but, though it does seem like a feature that should be a foregone conclusion?

Welcome @dubhuir
Indeed it’s not just a simple switch to pull, but the request is noted.

I would also like the feature.

there are a number of pdf tools have that that now, and have done for years.

Of course, but it would be much more convenient to have it built in. I can already use DT to fill in PDF forms (and did so earlier today), so why should I need another application to also insert a signature?

It’s not necessarily a trivial thing to implement but it’s noted.