Am in state of confusion: images missing in DT RTF document after opening with ext editor, but present if copy paste

You are right about quick look. There is an issue with quick looking Nisus Documents.
I did however find a solution as per below.
Thank you for your time, help and multiple posts.

1- Nisus > Settings > Saving > Default Format > change the usual RTF to RTFD

Thanks for the investigative work and posting a follow-up. This should be helpful to any other Nisus users who may run into this situation.

1 Like

Good point and makes sense in a case where you have a particularly “odd” external editor like Nisus, which handles RTF(D) quite well but in a very opinionated manner.

2 Likes

@BLUEFROG @korm

just 2 comments and I will leave you in peace:

1- I did not choose Nisus Writer Pro (NWP) by chance. I did some research and found that it is the best rated Mac RTF and RTFD Word Processor for Mac. Reviews are all 4.5 to 5 stars. It is superb and I much prefer it to MS Word, Google Docs and Pages. In the case of DT, using Nisus Writer Pro as an external editor as described above gives me the best of both worlds: the power of the DT Database and the ability to write DT embedded complicated technical documents without having to create a file with Nisus Writer Pro, then import in DT etc. I even wonder if DT would eventually like to have a more formal association with Nisus Writer Pro as an external editor (I am not “promoting” them - I don’t know them and I am not in business)

2- if some DT users find Nisus Writer Pro too expensive, it also comes in a simpler less expensive version called Nisus Writer Express which works fine (I tested the trial version today).

both are in the app store

just 2 comments and I will leave you in peace:

No worries. You’re free to express your opinions and ideas here.

I’m glad you’ve found Nisus suits you. That being said, it does have proprietary methods, so bear that in mind (not just with DEVONthink, but potentially if sharing files).

Cheers!

1 Like

This will not prevent you from accidentally destroying your RTF(D)s.

If you edit an RTF(D) in Nisus Writer and afterwards edit or save it in any other app all Nisus specific stuff will be destroyed.

Setting the default format to Nisus Compressed Rich Text and also using this as a template in DEVONthink is the only safe way, I think.

See Save usage of Nisus Writer RTFs in DEVONthink.

1 Like

Very interesting !
Does compressed Rich Text support images, just like RTFD ?
thank you very much. I would have made a huge mistake

Yes, but you won’t see them in DEVONthink, only in Nisus Writer.

then it is not useful.

How about using the method I detailed above. In case of a mishap, does DevonThink Pro 3 support any kind of document versioning ?

Not directly, but it’s doable, see File version / Version History .

1 Like

The problem with mishaps is that they are not recognized immediately, at least over here.

In case of destroying a Nisus document you won’t know about it until you open the document in Nisus Writer again.

1 Like

I certainly believe you, but I was not able to reproduce the problem.
What I tried DT data from RTFD template → open in Nisus Writer Pro → use styles (headings, images etc) → save→ return to DT → edit extensively in DT (including adding images) → open again in Nisus Writer Pro → I could see the same doc as in DT including all previous Nisus Writer Pro styles and changes made in DT.

in case of a Nisus - DT interaction disaster whereby the document is mangled and the info lost, does DT have any forum of document versioning ? If so how frequent are the automatic version backups ?
thank you

Over here the Nisus Writer TOC is destroyed after editing in DEVONthink.

1 Like

From the thread I linked above

1 Like

If Nisus behaves fragilely when working with RTFs, then maybe the best approach is to keep the documents external to DEVONthink, index them, and not attempt to edit them in DEVONthink.

That’s not a criticism of Nisus – it deserves its reputation for excellence. But it appears to be working in a non-standard way with a common file type, which is behavior one cannot expect DEVONthink to overcome.

3 Likes

I’ve not looked at Nisus in many years now, but back in the day when I did it had a reputation for a non-standard version of RTF(D).

3 Likes

OK. thank you for the testing. So I can get a surprise anytime with style related and other features

yes, and a good example is the lack of quick look as described by @chrillek above

It would seem like a perfect solution. I am new to DT, and have not yet learned to do that (replicants ?)
I would imagine that if I use that method, I would lose the ability to see the document in DT, which is not acceptable in terms of my workflow, but I have no idea what I am talking about.