Annotation File Format

I’m wondering if there is a setting somewhere that I can force the default format for the Annotation file? I see that it’s a simple RTF if I don’t choose a template, but I think it’d be nice to have a setting to force it to be a PlainText or Markdown.

The only possibility right now is to use your own template.

@cgrunenberg I noticed that DTTG actually creates Markdown files for the annotations and also makes a proper Markdown link to the document as well. It’d be awesome if this comes to the DT as well! :smile:

You can already create your own custom Annotation file for DEVONthink.

PS: DEVONthink To Go generates a Markdown file as a default since RTF is not a mobile native nor friendly format, while Markdown is.

Is it possible to customize the annotation template for DTTG, e.g. including placeholders?

Also, can you be more specific regarding how to customize the Annotation template for DT? I found the following post regarding the annotation template but not sure how to customize/edit the template file. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m also a bit confused - I thought annotation templates could be edited before, but I can’t find that feature anymore in 3.8.2. Is it still possible to create custom annotation templates?

Of course, and they’re in the same place: The dropdown for the Annotations field in the Reminders & Annotations inspector has the New from Template > Open Annotations Folder command. Put your custom templates in the Annotations.noindex folder.

Thanks - is there any reference for which naming scheming (.dtTemplate?) I should follow and which variables I can use?

A .dtTemplate is a different type of template and unrelated to Annotation file templates.

Create a Markdown file in DEVONthink and use Control-click > Insert Placeholder to insert the placeholders. You can use that as your template to export.

1 Like