Background colour for RTF notes

Hi all,

I want to make some template notes for use when working. As a lawyer, I am a fan of a soft yellow background for my notes (like a legal pad).

Is it possible to change the background colour for templates? If so, can someone point me in the right direction?

I’ve looked for previous answers, but they are now about 15 years old. Is this possible in DT3?

Thanks very much

Yes, you can.

This is how to change a supplied template: we’ll take the Data > New from Template > Productivity > Note as an example, but the principle is the same for any template, including the ones you write yourself of course.

Go the Templates folder in Finder (you can click on Data > New from Template > Open Templates Folder) and navigate to Productivity > Note.dtTemplate. Right click on this file and choose Show Package Contents.

In the new Finder window, navigate to English.lproj (the principle is the same for other languages, of course) and double click to open Notes.rtf in TextEdit.

In TextEdit, press cmd-t (or Format > Font > Show Fonts) to get the Font dialogue up.

Click on the colour patch next to the little icon which looks like a document and the colour swatch will appear. Choose you new colour — the text background should change with it.

Save the document, go back to DT3 and invoke the Note template: you should find the background of the new document will reflect your changes. Obviously, this will only work for new notes — existing ones will show the old background.

BTW, if you want to change the background for new default RTF notes (Ctl-cmd-n) then I think you have to open up the DT3 application bundle and make the change there, which probably isn’t a good idea unless you know what you’re doing…

HTH.

I think you have to open up the DT3 application bundle and make the change there, which probably isn’t a good idea unless you know what you’re doing…

Definitely not a good idea.
The template idea is the correct (and safe) idea.

1 Like

Quite… if nothing else it’s a pain to have to do every time the app is updated. Still, it would be nice if there was an option to change the default background. Not essential, just nice to have.