Big Sur's a coming

DT3 wants to update the mail plug-in. Which then is deactivated in Mail because the developer can not be verified (“kann nicht verifiziert werden”, literally here).
The text “DEVONthink” in the main menu bar (activated by “Sorter in the extra menu” in DT’s settings) is white on grey here. Not exactly legible.
Also BoxCryptor needs to be updated to the latest version from their website and then the kernel extension (or whatever they’re called now) enabled in system settings.
My automounted “Photos” folder on a NAS is not automounted.
Photoshop seems to be working (but one never knows with this beast), GraphicConverter does at least start as does MoneyMoney, both not exhibiting any weird behavior.

2 Likes

Same problem with the mail plug-in

2020-11-13_13-08-09

Mail plugin does not work in Bug Sur yet. You still can use alternative ways like drag and drop messages.

BTW, I’ve updated my two updatable Macs into Bug Sur without issue. DT seems work fine, and Macs feel more responsible. What I don’t like is the new bigger toolbars. They remove screen real-estate for nothing.

1 Like

Ah! the benefits of maturity :wink:

3 Likes

I am in that small space on the Venn diagram of DEVONthink 3 users who updated by accident really: I thought I was updating Safari and somehow it ended up with Big Sur. Not sure if that was me or Apple. However it is ok; as you know I am not a high tech user but rely totally on DEVONthink 3. The mail thing I can wait to be sorted out and the black letters in some things in Dark Mode? Nothing else I noticed. These days I don’t find any upgrades that exciting or interesting. Even DEVONthink 3 ones. I have no IT bottlenecks any more to be frank and haven’t for a couple of years. I love my apps and my Mac of course.

I know that you have to work all the time to stay still so to speak and there is a lot of under the hood stuff I don’t know about.

Well, while I said I would wait for a while for Big Sur … I decided “what the h…l?”. Except for enabling future processors, it seemed to be mostly fluff and after installing it on two machines, it is mostly fluff. Yea, shadows on the icons, a prettier way to see the Settings control panel, and whatever. Fluff is what many Mac users like, I guess. Yes, it looks a little more refined and there may be other things to discover and gush about, but I doubt I will gush. A couple of my most-used apps have adopted some noticeable changes with Big Sur versions, and that appreciated.

Re DEVONthink, I initially was having difficulty having Preview App interact with DEVONthink via the “Share” extension. From other things, I’m suspect that the flaw is in Preview not DEVONthink, but I could be wrong. Using the DEVONthink share extension from Chrome and Safari appears to work as expected, but that was after a few re-boots. I don’t know if the re-boots had anything to do with make it all work.

And the DEVONthink mail plug in is, as reported by others, not trusted by Mail 14, so it doesn’t work. I’m sure that will be resolved in due course. Not critical for my muscle memory on how I store stuff into DEVONthink.

2 Likes

I beg to differ. It wastes space (in the menu bar, in the warning popups). Detectability is bad with even more icons, text etc. being displayed without any indication that one can click on them. And under the hood, something happened to APFS which makes ArcBackup refuse to use APFS snapshots now.
But I agree that Apple seems to think that all is about fluff now :frowning:

On a 27-inch Retina iMac … who cares about a space?! :wink:

1 Like

:flushed: feel free to keep us posted on that (or if it is too OT then just keep me posted)

For my eyes, the legibility of the interface is not as good as previous systems. It is particularly difficult to see which window has focus. For the first time in my life I may need Accessibility settings to help. And they are not that much help, from what I can see thus far.

And a really daft and inconsistent thing is that keyboard shortcuts in the menus are greyed out as if they are deactivated instead of being black, like the menu text. Where is the logic in that?

I used to admire the Mac interface for its design. Not any longer. It is getting to be as bad as Windows.

No, I did not. And I did not regret to do so. :wink:

Wait, is drag-and-drop from Mail.app expected to work with DT3 Pro on Catalina? Because it’s never worked for me.

Yes. What is the specific issue?

I had assumed that you could drag a Mail message onto the DT app icon & it would appear in the inbox but nothing happens. If you drag onto the Inbox shortcut in the Finder sidebar it is added however.

Dragging a mail into a DEVONthink window should work

1 Like

Works here and always worked. Now on the newest Big Sur and DEVONthink 3.5.2.

What does not work (and never worked, and I never and don’t expect it to work) is to drag a mail into a a “Smart Group”, which perhaps is the issue for some?

Dragging a Mail message into a DT window does work too. It’s interesting that rmschne is not experiencing such issues.

Bill

Yes, but I find it only works if you drag from the inbox of a mail account, not, for example, from the sent messages or archive folders.

Works fine here as you describe.

Probably need to explain the symptoms of failure. Is the reaction of the dragged mail being rejected by DEVONthink like two same poles of a magnet? Drops and disappears? What do you see that confirms the failure?

I’ve checked further: works fine here with one of my email accounts - can drag from any folder and drop into DT. From a different email account I can only drag and drop from the inbox - from any other folder the DT log says Apple Mail Import of 1 messages failed.

1 Like