Big Sur's a coming

Tomorrow’s the day, Big Sur will be upon us. Well, only upon those of use who choose not to wait, that is. DEVONthink 3.5.2 incorporates the first of a series changes for macOS Big Sur. Is there a list of remaining problems with DT3 on macOS 11 available so early adopters (yes, alright, me - and only on one device, I promise) know what they’re getting into? Obviously a couple of people have posted about niggling bugs (sharing to DT, mail plugin) here on the forum, but all in all things have been pretty quiet on that front.

1 Like

OCR is still in the works too. Other than that, cosmetic tweaks. But @cgrunenberg could comment more, if he likes.

1 Like

When you say “OCR is still in the works”, do you mean that if we switch tomorrow to Big Sur we will have some diminishment of OCR in DT3? Is DT fully ready for Big Sur, or are there DT3 reasons to wait?

I personally suggest to not upgrade tomorrow. Yes, there are things still outstanding. And again @cgrunenberg can comment as he wishes.

3 Likes

FYI, I don’t plan to upgrade the Apple OSX operating system for a few months (maybe longer) after release. History shows that there are always new-found bugs and issues. So I’m not predicting problems/issue, but just recognising history. I get no enjoyment in trying to bend OSX (or any software) to my will. There will be a point at which I will be essentially forced into it (as was the move to Catalina).

4 Likes

I’m completely convinced that delaying installation is both a reasonable course of action and a good idea. For some reason which I cannot adequately explain, I’ll still be installing it on one device today. I’d speak to a professional about about this personality trait if I had time. But I’m always fixing new stuff :nerd_face:

4 Likes

<Sigh> I’m exactly the same.

Stephen

1 Like

Out of curiosity, can you give us some more specific guidance as to what would happen with DT3 if one were to install Big Sur?

OCR works fine on Big Sur but not yet on ARM-based Macs due to an issue of the Abbyy engine. The next release will also fix some minor glitches and update the toolbars for Big Sur. And the Mail plug-in hasn’t been updated yet but there are several alternatives (e.g. drag & drop, scripts and View > Sidebar > Import).

But as usual I would highly discourage to update to a .0 release of macOS in a production environment, at least as long as you’re not a developer and need it for your work :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi, guys!!!

If nobody installs Bug Sur, Apple won’t be able to resolve their crap, and then when all of us will install .1 version, it will be as if it were .0 version. :laughing:

[just kidding… or not]

[I will try to refrain myself, but I know myself… sigh! :sweat_smile:].

3 Likes

It’s a real dilemma isn’t it?

Bill

1 Like

Just wondering why Catalina is still so buggy - did nobody install it? :joy:

9 Likes

Still using Mojave and that works fine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Q.e.d :smiley: Mojave and El Capitan were IMHO the best macOS releases during the last years, Big Sur looks promising. Well, its stability… the appearance depends on the point of view :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A very deep knowledge Spanish guy (Julio César Fernandez) said in one of his more or less recent podcast that Bug Sur gave a lot of good filing to him due internal stability compared with Catalina the Great S*it (he explained some technicalities, but I don’t remember what he said).

Only issue with Catalina was that I had to buy a new scanner as my Fujitsu scanners (2 of 'em) bricked by Fujitsu. But then they surprisingly issued Catalina compatible software. Now have three scanners… Sigh.

1 Like

Ahh. I misunderstood something I asked Alan about. Thanks, Criss.

I’ll be updating today, I’ll post here if I run into any issues.

2 Likes

Looking forward to your update, @ibuys!

About the only reason that I’m enticed to upgrade to Big Sur is the automatic switching of AirPods between devices. Crazy, isn’t it? Otherwise, I don’t care about Big Sur. I guess I should really, really try to hold off on upgrading until maybe beginning of next year. sigh

Updated both my Macs (mini late 2018; Air 2019) to Big Sur without problems.

Software, including DEVONthink, PDFexpert, Banking 4, iThoughts X, running fine. Printer (Brother HL-3152CDW and Scanner (ScanSnap iX500 with ScanManager v7.0 L30) work fine.

2 Likes