Bug Devonthink 3 with Mac OS11 Big Sur?

not sure if that is a bug of Devonthink3 or Bigsur

just recently installed Devonthink 3, but i am sure sharing a PDF with Devonthink was working.
Now I am on BETA Big Sur and realized that i have a problem with sharing a PDF from the Preview.

• opening of PDF
  • “sharing” => “adding to Devonthink3”
  • short signal tone
  • preview is frozen and does not work anymore

For the German Forum:

• öffnen einer PDF im Finder oder Mail
  • denn über den Befehl „ Das Dokument Teilen“ => „zu Devonthink3 hinzufügen“
  • ein kurzer Signal Ton ertönt
  • PDF „Vorschau“ reagiert nicht mehr
  • Vorschau kann nicht mehr bedient werden und muss über „sofort beenden“ geschlossen werden

Given that big Sur is beta software, it might well be a bug there. You shouldn’t be using it in a production environment.

1 Like

Yes, sharing from most areas/apps in Big Sur to DT3 does not work and behaves as you describe. I’ve not reported it yet as I was assuming it will be picked up once Big Sur is out of beta and I really should not have my production machine running it (but I can’t resist)

Welcome @bernd_71

I’m curious why you’re using the Sharing menu to send a PDF to DEVONthink.

who said that it is a production environment ?

1 Like

thats in my opinion the shortest way if i have the PDF already open in preview. I need to open PDFs sometimes to check PDF content before i move it to DT
in other cases I am using scansnap and/or hazel moving it to inbox.

1 Like

yes, sharing with other apps from Preview is still working ok (One Note, Notes, Mail) , i just have that problem with DT3.
thought is good to share with other…

1 Like
  • preview is frozen and does not work anymore

So Preview is stalling, not DEVONthink?

correct, but as every other app works with sharing from Preview and only the DT interface creates a problem i thought it might be an issue coming from DT

Does drag & drop of the window’s document icon to DEVONthink still work?

yes it does

Was anything logged to Windows > Log?

no

I just upgraded to Big Sur and am experiencing the same issue with preview and dt3. Any updates? Thanks.

I am having the same problem with sharing to DT3 with Big Sur. I can get documents in using the Print or pdf function, but it strips out all the tags which I rely on heavily to organise my documents.

I join my voice to the chorus…

Bei mir friert der Finder als auch die Vorschau App ein wenn ich ein Dokument zu DT teilen will. Es wird auch nix importiert dabei.
Ein teilen über FortLift klappt auch nicht. FL friert zwar nicht ein aber es landet keine Datei in DT.

Edit:
Eben nochmals getestet. Über das “Teilen”-Symbol funktioniert es nirgends. Mit dem Rechtsklick - Dienste - zu DT hinzufügen klappt es hingegen überall.

Gibt es hier Neuigkeiten??

+1, the same issue as OP.

same here, also using the Share button to add documents to DevonThink.
Freezes the Preview window.