BUG: DTTG does not merge remote location tags without Spotlight enabled

After lots of frustration, as depicted in Search in DTTG is broken? I finally found the problem!

If you disable Spotlight in the settings before syncing a database from a remote location, it’s tags are visible in the list of tags, but are not available in a search for tags!
The only way to get them then available in a search, is to re-enable spotlight!

This is easily reproduced and stays true for the next database that is synced from a remote location.

I did not yet test how newly added tags are handled and if they are properly synced to remote and to other devices if Spotlight is disabled after the initial sync.

PLEASE check this in detail and fix, as I really do not want to store my most private information in Apple Spotlight, which I avoid like the plague.

Many many thanks :slight_smile:

And you wouldn’t believe, after reinstalling and resyncing all 3 iDevices with Spotlight enabled, they finally also show the same item counts!!!
No small differences anymore.

So, this other problem is closely related!

Both problems never appeared on DTTG 2.x as far as I can say.

before syncing a database from a remote location, it’s tags are visible in the list of tags, but are not available in a search for tags!

By this do you mean before you import a database from a sync location?

Update: This does appear to be the case. I am filing an issue on it. Thanks for your patience, assistance, and understanding :slight_smile:

Again, well caught - thank you :slight_smile: Your perseverance in this has turned up two obscure bugs, gotten two issues filed and will be reflected in upcoming bug fixes, saving others from grief in the future. Thank you!

@BLUEFROG and @Blanc I feel much better already, as now there is light at the end of the tunnel :sweat_smile:

I really was frustrated and already on the brink to drop DT and DTTG… it was just not reliable as it seemed.

But now I am happy again :hugs:

Could you please also check the code of DT for the behavior with tags when Spotlight is disabled? Just to not overlook this…

Thanks for your patience with me spamming the forum with all my complains :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

1 Like

No worries.

Your posts may be frequent but they’ve been civil, despite your frustration.

With the variety of behaviors and environments, finding every little thing in such complex applications as DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go can be difficult. It’s more beneficial for us to have someone working with us than someone just throwing insults around. So we appreciate your diligence.

And as I said, I confirmed the tag search problem and filed an issue on it last night.

Cheers!

1 Like

Great, thanks :hugs:

I checked the databases on my Mac …

I have “create spotlight index” disabled in DEVONthink!

This does not seem to create similar problems as with DTTG.

Still, I currently feel a bit uncomfortable :open_mouth:

I have “create spotlight index” disabled in DEVONthink!
This does not seem to create similar problems as with DTTG.

DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go are different applications on different platforms. While some underlying technologies are the same, some are not. The search engine is not shared code.

1 Like