Cannot share PDFs from Safari to DTTG anymore

You’re not merely talking about opening an encrypted ZIP from an email. You are talking about using the preview content function with a ZIP in an email in iOS. So yes, that is uncommon.

1 Like

Hmm.

When I get an encrypted ZIP file with PDFs by Mail, I normally want to read it …

The straight forward way to do this, is to open the ZIP, enter the password and press the inbuild “Preview Content” which displays the PDF and also offers to share it to other Apps.
Seems quite normal and like the way Apple wants us to do this.

But anyways, I have no problem with Mails - I have a problem with Safari and just wanted to point out, in which situation the same strange behavior appears!

:slight_smile:

Which does not mean that Apple implemented the underlying techniques correctly. Apple also wants you to use Notes …

1 Like

Yes, mabye.

And the previewed PDF from the encrypted (or not encrypted) ZIP files can be shared to Notes without any problem!

But not to DTTG, which is my point and is the same as for Safari …

Mobile development would have to assess what data is coming in from the Share menu in this instance. I’ll file an issue to have a look at it. However, I can’t speak on development’s behalf about any outcomes.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I’ve also observed a bug where using the sharesheet with a PDF in Safari “dims” and freezes, without saving the pdf to DTTG. I’m on iPad 16.3.1 and DTTG is 3.6.3. The bug is unique to DTTG and is initiated by selecting DTTG in the share menu. Essentially nothing happens once you click on it. In my case, I’ve opened DTTG to see if the file magically made it there anyway (it doesn’t) and on returning to Safari I’ve been able to click the sharesheet again and it’s worked the second time.

I’ve not had time to investigate it properly (or report it) but thought I should leave a comment to confirm there is a bug on the current version.

3 Likes

So iPadOS 16.x is affected too!

Then it is a general problem … good to read this, as it may lead to a fix :slight_smile:

On 15.x this does not work!

I tried to select DTTG from the Share menu several times (always only dimming the screen), then opened DTTG itself, switched back to Safari and tried to share again - but the behavior remains the same, just a dimming of the screen!

iPhone 14 Pro / iOS 16.3.1
DTTG v 3.6.4
Readdle Scanner Pro v 8.12.7.583

Heavy DTTG / DT user.
Used to share scanned PDFs from Readdle Scanner Pro to DTTG for years.

Now this:
Scanner Pro → Share PDF → DTTG → DTTG opens, short haptic feedback as if something was pasted, no file appears.

Pasting to DTTG allowed in iOS Settings.

What changed?
Cheers

*Edit: typo

1 Like

Good to see, that this bug is not something very specific to only me (as we had with some bugs before) :smiley:

Not seeing this behavior here.

• Does it persist after a device reboot?
    • If so, on DEVONthink To Go’s databases screen, select ? > Contact Us to start a support ticket. Thanks!

I did not specifically reboot for this, but I did even do a hard reboot several times because of other problems (for example Files App did not work anymore), so no - a reboot does not fix this for me.

I also did open a support ticket (at least on DTTG this works, while DT has problems when Apple Mail is not the default mail App)

Yes, the problem persists after soft and hard reboots of the device.

Will open a support ticket later. :+1:

Cheers
Jakob

1 Like

I’m aware this isn’t the most helpful comment, but the share sheet has been buggy in a variety of ways since the last major iOS update, I can work around it and I assume it’s more Apple’s fault than DTTG (based on the timing), but it is a minor annoyance. FWIW.

1 Like

When sharing a PDF from Scanner Pro, DTTG will attempt to retrieve the PDF from the pasteboard however currently there no data available to retrieve the file. If other users are having problems with different applications the most likely cause is a bug with iOS.

1 Like

I never noticed similar problems with any other App.
And it did work with DTTG before!
I just can’t remember when I did this successfully the last time…

I just can’t remember when I did this successfully the last time…

Operating systems are continuously changing.
And implementation in applications aren’t always using standardized methods, so obviously behavior can vary.

I can only repeat, that no other App has this problem!
So for me, it seems to be a problem with DTTG.

Of course the OS may play a role too … but not in a really relevant proportion:

I tested Apps like “eBookMobi”, that where updated the last time over 6 years ago!
And yes, I can share to this App without any problem …

This should rule out any relevant OS problem, right? :wink:

Correlation is not the same as cause.

1 Like

True :smiley:

But I don’t really understand the whole discussion.

Sharing PDFs to DTTG from Safari and other Apps seems to be a problem for OS version 15.x and 16.x
Even 6 year old Apps do not show this problem.
So, it hints to a problem within DTTG.

But is’nt it even totally uninteresting if this is bug in DTTG or some problem in the OS is the cause?

It should be fixed by DevonTechnologies, from my understanding.
And I still hope, it will be fixed :wink:

But beside some people who also reported problems in this thread, I mostly read “not our problem” type of messages, which I find disturbing.