Given that I’ve opened a pdf document in my browser window and want to use the extension to file it into a folder of my DT database. How can I achieve that? When I use one of the pdf options, I only get an empty pdf in the DB. When I use the webarchive or html options, it’s also not the pdf proper that is included into my database, but a webpage including the pdf, so that Adobe Reader will be opened within the DT browser…
Could it be possible that you’ve simply forgot to provide a method for this most simple task…???
The actual text content of this PDF document is basically garbage. E.g. convert it to plain text or open it with Preview.app, select all, copy the selection and paste it into a TextEdit document and you’ll see. That’s why the automatic name is not that useful.
Personally, I never clip PDFs that were downloaded and displayed by the browser. I just save them to Downloads and import to DEVONthink. The DEVONthink clipper (eg clip to PDF) is intended for converting HTML to PDF, but not for converting PDF to PDF. I.e, it is not “Clip a PDF” but “Clip to PDF”. Since there is no HTML content in a PDF displayed in the browser, you get garbage.
The examples given by the poster above work just fine if the PDF item is saved and imported as I mention.
Well, of course I do the same - because there is no other way. It would be much more convenient to have a unified interface for importing any content from the browser.
The wonderful Evernote Clipper shows how this can be done. Unfortunately Evernote doesn’t allow for a sufficiently nested folder structure, that’s the most important reason why I still prefer to work with DevonThink.
But I guess if the DT people don’t keep up with the current developments, their days may be counted soon, at least at this workplace here. (Evernote DOES allow for nested tags, btw.)
Oh, btw, I HAD done that experiment already, at least if you mean de-activating all other BROWSER extensions for excluding possible conflicts: As I am usually not using Safari, the Devon Think extension was the only Safari extension at work. Still, the problem persisted.
Now I have de-activated some DT Modules, especially the PDF Services, and the Apple Mail Extensions. This seems to have solved the issue…!
This linked PDF also works fine here, and as a FYI, I am using DEVONthink Pro Office with none of the DT Services and Mail.app extensions disabled. I’ve linked a video below where I imported the PDF linked above via the DEVONthink’s Safari extension Clip to DEVONthink 1.2.2.
Wow, I didn’t realize the screen video was also recording the mic! Yes, I’m very blessed with all the winged visitors that are outside my home office.
As to your question re: the library as the source of the problem, I would say that is a real possibility. You might want to ask someone at the library if they are blocking some connections, perhaps also check the Console the next time you are there and this happens.