I’m trying to get rid of a bunch (> 150K) of tags that have been auto-created upon addition through following RSS posts.
Trying to follow this interestingly similar post by fellow denizens of these forums
I found that the added tags are all 36 characters long. (pasted a couple in gsheet and applied formula =LEN(cell address))
Hence I thought the easiest way was to remove all tags with length = 36.
I then set out to create a rule to try to achieve this.
I’ve tried a couple of different settings at “Perform the following actions:”
- On Demand
- On Startup
However nothing seems to happen, so my question is “What am i doing wrong?”
Then the next step / issue:
I have my DB’s synced over a couple of macs.
To start with I have disabled sync for this particular DB.
Am I correct in following reasoning:
- first fix rule to get rid of excessive tags
- apply rule to delete tags
- then, on syncstore, delete the related DB (and later do the same on all macs syncing this DB)
- once tag issue is solved, re-enable sync, uploading from the curated DB
- on other macs, re-enable sync and download from syncstore
Thanks for helping out!
FYI: What also happened previously is that all these 36 char tags were synced as "Finder"tags…
This resulted in bringing my 2013 Mac Pro with 12 core cpu and 64 GB of ram to its knee’s…
I had to manually remove all thes thousands and thousands of tags.
Then I applied the hidden preference to disable Devonthink sync of tags to “Finder tags”