Customized Inspector pane

Hi,

in the way I work with my documents, I’d need constant access to their name, path, tags (Info inspector), annotations (Annotations & Reminders inspector) and in-content search (Search inspector).

I find myself having to constantly switch between these inspectors, just to review this information. Is there a way to configure a custom Inspector pane, that can be populated by just those fields that are relevant for my work (even if the individual fields come from different factory inspectors)?

OmniGraffle e.g. has an extremely useful implementation of such a custom configuration. Is that available in DT somehow as well? It might maybe even be helpful to have one “All” inspector (not configurable), but with the ability to collapse non-relevant groups (perfect would be to be able to re-order them vertically, but collapsing would even help in my situation).

Thanks, Christian

3 Likes

That’s not possible currently. One workaround might be to use e.g. the Search inspector plus the Info popover when necessary.

I too would like the ability to have a customised information/inspector pane, instead of having to switch between the multiple available panes to see the information I want. Is this possible yet?

That’s not possible yet.

Disappointing. I’ve tried a lot of document management apps recently, my favourite being Papers 3 though that is sadly no longer supported (and the new version Readcube Papers is missing many features), and Devonthink looks like it has potential to be the best. Allowing a custom info pane to show the already available custom metadata would make the app better than Papers 3 and similar.

Any updates with this? :smiley:

Nothing to report at this time.

OK. Hopefully this feature can be implemented soon.

Any progress? :smiley:

No, there is nothing to report on this.

Is this on the radar at least? It would mainly require the ability to allow the user to add elements from the “generic” and “custom” sections of the main “info” pane. Or even just allow the user to edit what appears on the “generic” info pane (e.g. remove some items like “URL”, “script” and “geolocation”) and add some custom metadata fields.

1 Like

As I said, nothing to report here. And if there was, it would not be anything implemented until the next major version of DEVONthink. You’re not discussing a simple thing from a development standpoint.

Expanding on @cgrunenberg’s suggestion, it’s possible have all three inspectors visible together if you open your Annotation in a separate window (using control-option-command-O from either the Annotation inspector or the Annotations tab in the Info popover); keep the inspector pane open on the Search tab; and view the Info inspector in the popover. It’s not a complete solution, as the popover closes when it loses the focus and has to be summoned back with a command-shift-I, while annotations in a separate window lose access to the invaluable Insert Quote command from the inspector version – but it might be sufficient or nearly so for the particular use case you describe.

3 Likes