Damaged database: verifying and repairing

Hi,
Last week I needed to repair and then rebuild my database.

This did not work.

So I had to create a new database by copying all the files into a new database and eliminated the bad folders and files.

A few weeks later the new database now needs repairing and the rebuild did not fix the problem.

I began a restore from backup and the database is now in repair mode for the last few hours.

Hopefully it the process will be complete when I wake up in the morning.

The DevonThink database has been very unreliable and unstable as every few weeks, it becomes damaged.

I guess I will create an export backup archive every day as this backup and restore take tooooooooo long.

While I love DevonThink when it works, its instability makes it has become a non-viable solution for my work. I can now expect a damaged DevonThink database every few weeks which is causing me grief, time and effort every time it gets damaged.

I think I will begin to use the MacOS file structure and tags.

Maybe my DeveonThink database is too large?

Hopefully, all is up and running after my backup is restored in the morning.

Thoughts?

The best,
-BrianP2020-06-20_00-27-43

You should open a support ticket as you are reporting very abnormal behavior.

I just sent a support Ticket in by clicking on Option key at the Help section and Report Bug`

The verificatin process did not work and now Devonthink won’t even open.

I will reinstall the software.

Hi,

I uninstalled Devonthink and reinstalled it.

It still crashes, that is, I get the same “…DEVONtnink 3 quit unexpectedly…”

I updated to MacOS Catalina late this week.

My hands are tied.

I have no access to Devonthink software on my computer.

I have no choice but to us the MacOS as my database alternative.

If you can assist me that would be great, otherwise, I have my real work to do and I will have to find an alternative to DEVONthink.

Not only will Devonthink not load on my computer, the databases did not load when DevonThink was working oad when it did load the database, the database was corrupt.

The G-ds are speaking to me as I have no choice but to say good-bye to 'DevonThink…"

I really did love the software but I guess some relationships were not meant to be.

If you can assist me that would be great.

The very best,
-BrianP

It is my one MAIN corrupt database that DevonThink crashes and will not open but the other databases work

Maybe there are flaws on the disk? Try a repair with Disk Utility (in the Apple’s Utility folder under Applications). May help (or may not).

I’m having no issues with DEVONthink (now version 3.5.1) on Catalina (10.15.5)

That’s what I’m wondering as well.

All of this sounds highly abnormal and such things can be caused by hardware failure.

Hi,

Thank-you for your replies.

It seems like the disk is fine.

I was able to load the corrupt database.

What I thought I would do, is create a new database and copy folders for the corrupt database to the new non-corrupt one.

When I did this 10 days ago with, DevonThink found the folder that was causing the problems.

I will keep you posted.

From here, I will export->archive DevonThink daily so when the database gets corrupted again, I will only lose a days work.

The best,
-BrianP

2020-06-20_10-09-25

You’re welcome.

From here, I will export->archive DevonThink daily so when the database gets corrupted again, I will only lose a days work.

That is fine as a secondary backup strategy, but you should have a proper primary backup, like Time Machine or similar application.

Do note: You are reporting unusual behavior. Many people, myself included, have databases that have been used for years. My oldest are 8 years old now and I have no issues with them at all.

Hi,

All is good now with the new database. It is the third one in the last 2 months and the second in the last two weeks.

I like DevonThink enough that I can work with the routine of archiving daily in addition to my Time Machine backups.

Time Machine can be inconsistent on my end.

Thank-you for your support and for caring!

The very best,
-BrianP

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Time Machine can be inconsistent on my end.

There are definitely other options. I would strongly advise you to look into an alternative to Time Machine so you have an active primary backup running.
Cheers!

In which folder is the database located? Is this folder synchronized or encrypted by any third-party software (highly discouraged as this can cause exactly such issues)?

Hi,

The DevonThink database is 3.9 GB and iCloud has 1.36 TB of space left.

The best,
-BrianP

In which folder is the database located?
Is this folder synchronized or encrypted by any third-party software (highly discouraged as this can cause exactly such issues)?

You didn’t answer these two questions.

Hi,

Sorry, I opened the wrong question.

This topic I accidentally responded to is resolved.

I will reply to the correct question now.

The best,
-BrianP

No worries :slight_smile: