Dark Mode for iPad/iphone

Is there a dark mode option that can be used? If yes, how can it be activated?

If not, are there any plans to add it?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Dark mode is not currently supported in DEVONthink To Go. It is planned for a future release. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

2 Likes

That’s unfortunate but thanks for the answer! Is it the same case with multi windows for iPadOS?

1 Like

Correct.

iPadOS doesn’t make those things just happen. They have to be supported in the applications themselves.

1 Like

Yes, this is planned, too. We won’t just ignore these great new iOS features but it might be that with the launch of DEVONthink 3 for the Mac we’ve been too busy lately to do everything at once :wink:

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I’m fine without dark mode. yet when my phone is in dark mode, the text in sheets turns to white and looks blank. How do we get this fixed?

See above: Give us some time and sleep, then we’ll add dark mode support.

1 Like

So, to clarify, the feature that is a premium purchase on mobile to use sheets is unsupported?

?
I don’t understand what you’re asking, especially in the context of this thread.

I want to know if this is going to be fixed, and if so, when. Or alternatively is there to use the sheets feature on mobile. In sheets it doesn’t appear that I can format text at all in cells.

I purchased the IAP for DT to go specifically to use sheets on device, but white text on a white background is unusable. Is there a solution for this now?

Turn off dark mode. :+1:

Unless I am missing something, I don’t see that as an option.

Set iOS’ Settings > Display & Brightness > Appearance to Light.

I have a couple apps that just don’t work or don’t look good in Darkmode yet.

Many developers were not able to prioritize iOS13 features, as just getting your app to run on iOS 13 alone was a lot of work — particularly because the early builds of the OS were quite unstable. Just imagine you are trying to build something (anything) and a crucial piece of what you are building with…just disappears! Now you have to rebuild using new pieces by starting over. Now I don’t know if this analogy is totally applicable to DevonTechnologies, but it IS with many apps I use.

My solution: add a darkmode/lightmode “Control Panel” switch (see image):

If I am in DTTG, I just pull down control panel (from top-right of my iPhone XS), hit the switch, and then dismiss the control panel and work away in DTTG (Yellow circle). Alternatively, you can long press the Brightness slider (red circle) and switch it that way, but that is one too many interactions for me — I want to move quick. It is WAY too much work to go into the Settings app, then travel through the menu trees to find darkmode/lightmode switch.

1 Like

:roll_eyes: Impatient… :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, a good tip. :slight_smile:

1 Like

At the iOS level? Not at the app level? Yea… not going change it over because a single app failed to update properly. The widget is a decent option, but still way too many steps over just using something other than dttg.

Thanks, I’ll just get a refund for now then. If you fix it, I’ll reconsider.
I would recommend removing as it as a additional purchase (the sheets IAP) until it is working properly or you can format text in sheets. Kinda sucks being convinced to buy something extra that doesn’t work.

Thanks for the tip.

Actually, I don’t have to imagine, I am a software developer (specifically mobile for the last decade or so), and have been for years. Betas of the OSs are released specifically for this reason. Supporting new features on the OS certainly can take time, but making sure existing features aren’t broken in an update always should be prioritized, (and certainly ones that are premium add-ons).

Noted. And ideally true.

And I am sure you also noticed that even large developers, with dozens of folks (and more) struggled to get their apps functional on the new build during, and many after, the final OS came out. We can admit that DTTG perhaps is lagging. But technically the feature works just fine, just not within the new feature of iOS. I kind of think of it like slide-over. There are a slough of apps that still don’t support it, and they should, and from the users perspective this is unfortunate. But I suppose I am a bit more forgiving since the app works great, just not within the shell of a new feature of iOS.

1 Like

I totally get what you are saying, and pretty much agree.

The main reason I have a hard time being forgiving is that DT has been a critical tool in my process for over ten years. Virtually no problems and perfectly fits my needs in a way that others don’t/can’t. The only short-coming has been the syncing with mobile devices. I have been integrating them more into my flow, and with DT3/DTTG it seemed there was a solution for that. I paid to upgrade to DT3, no problem. Then I learned that the IOS version is a separate purchase. Not made clear anywhere until you try get. Grrr… but alright, it isn’t an unreasonable ask. (but should have been clearer, surprises suck). Ok… got it running (awkward process compared to every other tool that supports syncing… but not too awful.). Next, create a sheet in my synced project. Check on table… “to use sheets you need to make ANOTHER purchase…” Now we are getting silly. And after all that, sheets are invisible because they break under the TOP PROMOTED NEW FEATURE OF THE NEW iOS. 3 separate purchases to find out it is broken and won’t support the main reason I upgraded.

But the story doesn’t end too badly, they refunded me. I am back and happy with DT2 for the time being. If they get their …stuff… together, I’ll likely be happy to upgrade. Very much a fan of DT2.

Cheers.

1 Like