Database...seems to be already in use!

When I quit DEVONthink 3.5 normally using the normal Quit DEVONthink 3 command from the Menu Bar, when I start up again I get this message:
Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 10.16.22 AM
Why is this happening? Is there any way to fix it?
What I have been doing is to click on the Continue button and it opens up OK. It’s just another step that I’d like to avoid. Thanks, Tim

Did macOS report that DEVONthink crashed? Or did you force quit instead of quit the app?

No report of crash. No force quit. I have 2 databases, and this situation happens with both after a normal Quit.

Please choose Help > Report Bug while pressing the Alt modifier key and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com - thanks!

Unfortunately I can’t “Report Bug” because it wants to open up Apple Mail which just goes haywire on my MacAir, opening up all sorts of old msgs and wanting to send reminders. Any cure for this? I always use Gmail but can’t get it to open as default email in situations like this

The default email client of your system should be used but Gmail isn’t supported as it’s not scriptable. Therefore just send the file ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Console.log plus all Devon-specific files in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com.

just sent files you requested. Thanks, Tim

I also received this error message after updating, for several (but not all) of my databases. There was no previous crash and certainly no concurrent usage that happened.

Please hold the Option key and choose Help > Report Bug to start a support ticket so we can examine the logs.

This was several days ago, I have since repairs the DBs and done a lot of work in DT3. Would the logs still be useful?

Ahh, no. I didn’t realize you had. Thanks for the follow-up!

Newbie here. Had the same problem after the last update. It happened several times, and now seems to have gone quiet!

Hmm… I got this message too, and now syncing to our Drop Box appears to have stopped - Maybe these issues are connected?

It should have no bearing on it.

This warning usually occurs:

1. After DEVONthink has terminated abnormally (crash or force quit)
  2. When trying to access a database already open by another person (as DEVONthink is ​not ​made for multi-User simultaneous access)​
  3. If you open more than one copy of DEVONthink Pro and/or Pro Office. Both editions use the same resources so they cannot be opened at the same time.
  4. If you were trying to open multiple copies of the same database, including databases that have the same UUID.
    Note: This condition is caused by copying and renaming a .dtBase2 file in the Finder, and should not be done.

I am also receiving this warning, have been receiving it since upgrading to DT3 back the fall, but I restart my laptop/DT so infrequently that I always forget to follow up on the issue.

@BLUEFROG, I’m looking at your list above, and it seems like category 1 might indeed exhaust my case. (I tend to restart my computer only when absolutely necessary and that, as I’m thinking about it, might usually involve DT (+ other apps) crashing. I just tested quitting and restarting DT, and upon restart, I do not receive the error message.)

However, I want to make sure that there isn’t potentially another issue at hand here. I remember having to do some manual relocating of the database files in my Finder when I switched to DT3; unfortunately I didn’t think too much of doing that at the time, so now I’m helpless to recreate for you what I actually did.

Running Catalina 10.15.5 and DT 3.5.1, my databases are in Users > me > Databases, which I presume is standard? I also pinned the global Inbox folder to the Finder favorites in order to more easily have downloads from Chrome land in the Inbox, and the location of that folder in Finder is Users > me > Library > Application Support > DEVONThink 3.

Does any of that look fishy? I’m reading your comment “This condition is caused by copying and renaming a .dtBase2 file in the Finder, and should not be done.” and wondering if I haven’t inadvertently done something I shouldn’t have.

I also still have DT2 installed, though I do not use it; perhaps that is an issue?

(Context: my computer has been acting up in recent days—my iCloud seems to have relocated my Desktop and Documents without my knowing, my computer has forced a restart, but also my DT3 global Inbox has disappeared (becomes unretrievable from/unlisted on the DT drop-down menu) twice spontaneously and inexplicably, so I’m doing a bit of sleuthing at the moment to figure out what’s going on . . .)

Thanks for any help you can give.

Running Catalina 10.15.5 and DT 3.5.1, my databases are in Users > me > Databases, which I presume is standard? I also pinned the global Inbox folder to the Finder favorites in order to more easily have downloads from Chrome land in the Inbox, and the location of that folder in Finder is Users > me > Library > Application Support > DEVONThink 3.

This all looks normal.

You should not run DEVONthink 2 and 3 on the same account, on the same machine. At a minimum, you should delete DEVONthink 2.x from the /Applications folder and reboot the machine. Then see if issues persist.