DevonAgent Search into DevonThink 3 (Server)

Hello,

I’m looking at the editions, considering upgrading to DevonThink Server 3. I’m curious, for the DevonAgent’s DevonThink plugin, does it require DevonThink Server to properly execute? Or, are there plans of changing that plugin to not require Server functionality.

Reason I ask is a few fold. First, right now I’m getting errors with server/non when searching from DevonAgent regardless. I assume this is a known bug, so didn’t report it. But, even more important is the cost for upgrade. Roughly $400 to $100, so for $300 more to get server functionality. In a way, almost worth it so DevonAgent can search there in addition to the rest of the web. Still, that’s a lot of money. I personally have no intention on using server for other people, or even really using it on other machines (e.g. from windows/linux). So my use case is nearly primarily just DevonAgent so I don’t have duplication in documentation that I’m searches.

So the questions, two fold:

1. Will an update to DevonAgent be released soon to address the DevonThink 3 server issue for testing?
  2. Will the plugin for DevonAgent (DEVONthink server) be modified to function without the webserver?

Also a related question. Right now it looks like the betas are “free” til final release. Am I right about that? I pretty much totally transitioned to using DevonThink 3, but I’m going to want to upgrade in the end. I don’t want to miss out on the upgrade pricing, but right now I’m at a crossroads regarding server/pro, so still trying to figure out which is best for me.

1. Will an update to DevonAgent be released soon to address the DevonThink 3 server issue for testing?

We can’t comment on “soon”, but updates for DEVONagent will come in the future.

1. Will the plugin for DevonAgent (DEVONthink server) be modified to function without the webserver?

There are no plans to allow using the DEVONthink Server plugin without actually running DEVONthink Server.

Re: Pricing, yes the trial can be used without payment (though there are a few trial limitations with email archiving and OCR, just as there were with DEVONthink 2). Upgrade pricing is set, so it won’t be changing when DEVONthink 3 goes gold-master for public release.

Did you enable read access for some databases in Preferences > Server for the DEVONagent user?

Hey,

Yeah, I enabled pretty much full permissions (since I wasn’t 100% sure) before posting, and yeah it still was an issue. I didn’t change the user/pass, but what I found interesting was clicking on the error brought up the web browser part of it, and did show the results. So the results of the query were available, filtered, and all that. Just, it wouldn’t show in DevonAgent. I was testing this by just enabling that server plugin (and no others), and searching for something I knew was in my database in large amounts (“Python”)

Just noticed that the public release doesn’t support this yet, I’m sorry. But the next release will.

ah gotcha, and sounds good. I definitely look forward to the next release. Thanks for posting about it.

I’m also struggling between Pro and Server.

After reading this thread some time ago I tested the setup, but the results were surprisingly. For example there were only 2 results for a search term from which I knew I had even more groups in DEVONthink than DEVONagent shows as results.

So I guessed DEVONagent searches e.g. PDF Metadata and those other records just didn’t have those metadata as they were captured via Clip to DEVONthink.

I can see the power in DEVONagent searching DEVONthink databases, but it would be important to know how DEVONagent get to its results (e.g. to prepare all DEVONthink records I want DEVONagent to consider in its results).