DEVONthink for Note-Taking?

After reviewing all the note-taking apps :woozy_face: Enough! I am going to follow your lead and use DT & DTTG. Thank you!!!:wink:

2 Likes

How did you integrate it into your daily workflow? Thank you

Indeed, nothing special. I write down the notes in devonthink and move them to the according project group. I use simple markdown code as # ## and text and {{TOC}}.

1 Like

Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

Only thing that stops me using DT’s Markdown editor is the lack of style options. Which means that there is not enough white space for my taste, which has become used to the text presentation I can get in Ulysses or iA Writer.

If I could adjust line and para spacing, page margins, and have a centralised column of text in full screen view, I may not every leave Devonthink either. Editing in an external editor works well, however.

1 Like

I make and organize all my notes in DT. I use rtf.

1 Like

Not necessarily a Markdown thing

What if the note fits in multiple groups?
Do you create note replicants?

Instead of moving notes into groups
I assign tags; for example tag: *Project-aaaaaaa”

1 Like

blah blah blah. making it much too complicated. why not just use devonthink RTF or RTFD files? replicate
or duplicate as needed. what is big advantage using markdown? long term viability is red herring and not a real issue.

2 Likes

That sounds identical to Big Alcohol propaganda :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This stylesheet seems to do a lot of what you want:

And this is probably another moment to remind people of @chrillek’s masterclass:

1 Like

Thanks for the nice words. But I think that @amcawood is talking about editor settings – i.e. the margins etc. when they are writing, not viewing the MD file. I may be wrong, of course.

Ah, quite right – ignore me. (But those two threads are always worth a bump anyway.)

I have been using computers since 1971 and do not have to use markdown [which is fiddly to use actually, but that is opinion so everyone has one]. I have tried it and find just opening an rtf or textedit doc is just as fast and I can find and open all the documents I have with the exception of some old word doc files because I no longer use Word. not sure about Big Alcohol propaganda is. is it analogous to Big Tobacco or the secret cabal running the world behind the scenes?

1 Like

Rich text is surely not dead and it makes sense to many people. In fact, our CTO / Lead Developer / Wizard In Charge @cgrunenberg still prefers it over Markdown :smiley:

1 Like

Is it RTF that isn’t supported natively on iOS?
I seem to recall something like that coming up when the new text editor was being discussed.

I think Markdown was supposed to be less fiddly than HTML, which it probably accomplished. Some of Markdown’s features, like tables, I find easy to forget and there are different dialects of Markdown. I can agree those are drawbacks.

Advantages Markdown has - for me, and my mileage always varies - are smaller file footprint and the ability to transclude.

If I have a Markdown file that’s offers support for what I’m writing, I’ll sometimes transclude the second document. That way, if things change in the supporting document I’ll see the changes in the first.

For instance, you’re writing notes about a section of software documentation that ties some low-level principles together. Including a live version of another file can be helpful.

If the design evolves and new aspects enter the low-level principles, any edits on those notes automatically appear in the higher level notes.

Tagging, replicants, and annotation files are also solutions for that kind of thing.

1 Like

Correct. RTF is not mobile-native. However @aedwards excellent work on DEVONthink To Go’s editor supports creation of and editing rich text. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, that’s correct. I’ve made a pleasing CSS for the preview, but at the moment the editor just presents me with too much massed text for my taste…

In the five years or so since I shifted all my note taking to markdown I’ve found that it’s a skill that had unexpected benefits.
One is that it’s platform/OS agnostic. I’ve recently had to deal with the online or SharePoint versions of Word/Excel and while they seem similar to the desktop versions they’re probably more similar to the windows version and there’s enough variation that it always takes some time to remember where things are. With any markdown variation or derivation I’ve dealt with (Logseq, Obsidian, Fountain) it’s the same on any OS and because it’s just in-line coding I can get typing as soon as possible.

When markdown showed up in WhatsApp it was a pleasant surprise.

It’s relatively simple in most markdown editors to get a clean empty window that doesn’t distract and wants to be filled with text that you can format as you go.

Admittedly I don’t annotate PDFs and rarely prep any of my notes for printing. Nor do I link to photos all that often. I use a mostly stock CSS for my notes. So, grain of salt etc.

Overall, big fan of markdown.

3 Likes

Great to know that I am not alone :).