Devonthink web clipping saving as bookmark instead of PDF

On February 23rd, 2023, I submitted a ticket (#343596) which has an example there.
The issue happens with almost much any URL I save, and works fine on the 2nd attempt, as @cyounkins also described.

At the time I created the ticket I was on Ventura, and now I am on Sonoma.

I clip using the browser extension, mainly on Safari. Sometimes I clip with Chrome too, but I don’t remember if I have observed this issue there.

After restarting DEVONthink 2 days ago, it’s been working fine on the 1st attempt for a few pages that I have tried. But I’m sure it will certainly start happening again.
It seems that DEVONthink enters some strange state that prevents it from saving it correctly on the 1st attempt.

Sometimes I do that too. Other times I use File > Export as PDF, which can also be nice if the page isn’t too long (because it produces a single-page PDF).
Thanks for the advice.

2 Likes

Safari’s Export as PDF feature seems to work every time for me. Not sure why I didn’t try it before, and just kept clipping webpages multiple times with the DT extension.

I opened a webpage, used File > Export as PDF, and saved it to the Inbox folder that imports into DT; PDF saved, and imported into DT as expected (yes, I checked the PDF for content).

Just for fun, I tried the same webpage with the Clip to DEVONthink extension, but things didn’t go so well, resulting in DT clipping a .webloc file instead of a PDF. I then tried using the clipping extension a second time, and DT correctly clipped and imported the page as a PDF (expected behavior, it always works the second time, but having to clip twice is kind of annoying).