DT 3.9.1 OCR/PDF conversion no longer works

I have a problem with scans since update to 3.9.1 (Arm)
Like the others I am using ExactScan Pro. ExactScan no longer passes the pdfs to Devonthink and they end up in nowhere. I am temporarily using vuescan.
haven’t had time to look into the problem yet.

ExactScan no longer passes the pdfs to Devonthink and they end up in nowhere. I am temporarily using vuescan.

That would be an issue with Exactscan – or possible macOS – not DEVONthink.

Is that the actual problem?

After further tests I can say:
PDF files created with ExactScan (22.12.2) and imported into DT can no longer be converted into searchable PDF from DT since DevonThink version 3.9.1. A conversion to RTF or Word works. PDF files created with other tools, e.g. Image Capture from MacOS, still work.
MacOS 13.4 ARM

I have DT 3.9.1, just upgraded a day ago, OCRed a PDF, which worked fine as far as i can tell, with 1.1.18 of the OCR helper. I cannot update the OCR to 1.1.23. For my intel macbook pro should this be the most recent version or should it be 1.1.23?

I noticed that i cannot see it in the extension installer window, but for the mail plugin the version is shown which is installed. I would like this for the OCR as well, may i kindly propose to consider for DT to enhance this as well: Show the OCR engine and OCR helper app version at that plugin or extention GUI element?

Example of apple mail plugin in red and the proposed OCR in yellow.

If it works, why break it (based on previous reports on this thread)?

As before, ExactScan Pro saves the file in the “ScanSnap” folder. In addition, Devonthink 3.app is opened.
In Devonthink, I can see that Devonthink is processing the file, but the file does not show up in the Global Inbox afterwards.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-04 um 16.49.17

If you direct the output of ExactScan Pro to the DEVONthink Global Inbox directly, what happens?

Then the file appears in the Global Inbox. But it is not processed by OCR.
However, I had to repair the database afterwards. But may have been a coincidence. I even had a broken pdf with suffix .part
Result of directing the output to Global Inbox:

What ScanSnap folder ?

Also, according to their website, Exactscan isn’t marked as compatible with macOS 13 Ventura. Have you contacted them about this?

Please drag a problematic document to the Finder and compress it. Then in DEVONthink, hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket. Send us the ZIP so we can inspect the PDF.

As @BLUEFROG says, something odd with what Exact scan creates, I suspect.

EDIT. I vaguely recall a reason why scanned files not to go direct to global inbox. Reason may be found by searching older posts.

ExactScan is still not a universal app. However, the program worked in conjunction with Devonthink a week ago.
“ScanSnap” is just a folder where scans are saved by ExactScan.
To me it looks like this open-in process has a problem. I can see that the OCR process is executed by Devonthink, but the file does not appear.

maybe I’m completely lost at the moment
As an alternative I tried to build a rule. Everything in the inbox gets OCRed. Did not work.
So I simply tried to directly convert a pdf in a searchable pdf. Does not work…
Again I can see that the OCR-process is running, but the processed file is not saved to Devonthink.

This issue seems specifically related to Exactscan. I can reproduce the issue here with a trial version of Exactscan but development would have to investigate this.

Also, I’m seeing no failure when scanning the same document with Vuescan or scanning directly in DEVONthink.

@rmschne: Scanning directly to the Global Inbox is not advocated as a OCR process could be looking for it in ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Inbox but DEVONthink would have moved it into the internals of the database if the application is open.

1 Like

I think I am getting slowly to the root of the problem:
A PDF imported from ExactScan to Global Inbox cannot be converted to a searchable PDF by Devonthink. However, a PDF imported from VueScan can be converted.
Now, I first converted the PDF from ExactScan to a paginated PDF. After that, I was able to convert it to a searchable PDF with OCR.
So it is a conflict of an ExactScan-PDF with Devonthink-OCR

That is confirming my previous comment. :slight_smile:

I am not trying to brake but to point out a proposal for improvement of the addional modules overview and to understand it more.

Kind regards

At the moment VueScan saves directly to the Global Inbox folder. Devonthink imports and a rule is triggered for OCR. Which approach do you recommended instead?
VueScan has no “open in” like ExactScan.

PROBLEM ist FIXED!
DT was able to solve the problem, version 1.1.24 of DTOCRHelper.app must be installed. (Abby FineReader App)
Thanks to the DT development team for the quick solution.

3 Likes

GREAT! What was the problem?
ABBYY
ExactScan
DevonThink Helper?

Probably DTOCRHelper.app since a new version was created (1.1.24)