DT 3.9.5 & 3.9.6, dragging and dropping email fails

I’m on DT 3.9.5, Sonoma 14.3.1

• dragging an e-mail from Apple Mail
  • dropping it on the “Global Inbox” in DT (the symbol in the sidebar or the list view, no difference)
  • Error message “Apple Mail | Import of 1 message failed”
  • dragging the same e-mail first to the Desktop and then from there to DT works ok
  • tested with the “Sent” and the “Inbox” boxes in Mail, same behavior.
  • terminated and restarted DT, no change
  • restarted the mac, no change

Update to 3.9.6, released today.

Also…

I’m on the same software versions. Drag and drop from Apple mail into DT global inbox works for me as expected. Last boot this morning. I’m using an M2 Mac Studio.

Oh, didn’t realise there is an update.

updated, still working :innocent:

Glad to hear it! And yes, this is a quiet update to tweak and correct a few minor things from the previous release.

I rebuilt the mailbox, no change. Or rather: The message now reads “failed to import 2 message”, although I selected, dragged, and dropped only one.

And updated to 3.9.6?

Of course :wink: Also, DT is allowed to automate Mail and has full disk access. I’m sure that it has worked sometimes in the past.

I had the same problem but after shutting down (not reboot), it worked again. I am on the latest versions of Mac OS and DT and only recently updated to the latest version of DT.

DT 3.9.6 & Sonoma 14.3.1
Drag and drop does not work at all even after re-build.
Earlier, worked sporadically. When did not, re-start DT always solved it.
Mac mail rebuild never worked for me.
Help

As usual additional information would be useful:

1. What did you drag and where exactly did you drop it? E.g. drag & drop to the Dock icon does not work and never did (due to limitations of the Dock)

2. Is DEVONthink allowed to automate Mail?

3. Does DEVONthink have full disk access?

All these questions have already been answered. The first in the first post, the others later (yes to both)

#1: I drag many files to specific Folders in open Databases; Images, PDF, Video all work well, emails dont now (but always worked in the recent past)
Never dragged to the dock.
#2: No idea of this option. Where is it?
#3: Yes.

Apple Logo (upper left): System Settings → Privacy & Security → Automation → Mail (assuming you are using Apple Mail) and DEVONthink option should be turned “on”.

Same here. DT 3.9.6 & Sonoma 14.3.1. Same error. Dragging from Apple Mail into DT window of open folder. Has always worked in the past, including on Sonoma.

Does restarting the Mac make a difference? Scripting is not as reliable on Sonoma as it used to be and that’s required to handle drag & drop.

No, nor did restarting DT.

I use a variety of methods to get an email into DT depending on what I want to do:

Select the email. Command P: In dropdown menu at bottom, select Save pdf to DevonThink 3. In the next drop down menu, choose where to put it in a database. Works great as long as you don’t plan to reopen it in Mail.

Use the Mail Save As command, for saving it as an rtf in Finder. Ditto Export as pdf.

Drag either of those into the Sorter if you don’t have an open database. Two steps instead of one, but it works fine.

If you drag an email into Finder (say on your Desktop), you get an .eml file that you can then drag into a database or the Sorter and reopen in Mail.

Did this in a hurry; hope it’s clear and I didn’t get something wrong.