DTPO - Rename database, Dropbox sync

I have two iMacs, DTPO on each. On each Mac I have a DT database with the same name, Research. On each Mac, I save the databases to Finder folders (not in Dropbox)

For these questions, I’ll call the Macs 1 and 2, the databases 3 and 4 respectively. (d/b = database)

On Mac 1, I set out syncing to Mac 2 via Dropbox. To avoid confusion, using the Finder folder on Mac 1, I copied Research and renamed it Research1. I added Research1 to the sync, started and sync activity indicated 9000 (files?). About an hour later number completed was about 600 so I thought there must be a quicker way, also I didn’t want Mac 1 running all night. So I stopped and deleted the sync.

For my way, I decided it would easier from my point of view, with Dropbox as the intermediary, to make a copy of the database on Mac 1 then copy it to Mac 2 and after saving in Mac 2 Finder folder then copy to Mac 1 or vice versa, and so on, overwriting.

Copying Research1 from Mac 1 Finder folder to Dropbox: that took a few seconds.

On Mac 2’s Dropbox, I copied Research1 into Mac 2’s Finder folder for DT databases. Using DTPO in Mac 2, I opened Research1. Using the Three Pane View, no items or tags displayed so I tried the other views, but to no avail. Tools>Verify & Repair solved it. A new folder, Orphaned Files contained the entries, also tags appeared. (I’ll have to check whether all the entries in the original Research database are tagged so as yet I don’t know if all the items in Research1 in Mac 2 are present.) I dragged all files from Orphaned into the Inbox, then to a new group. (I know I could’ve created a group and dragged all there first.)

On Mac 1 Research, i had numerous smart groups. Questions. Am in right in thinking that (i) copying Research and renaming it Research1 would have preserved the smart groups on Mac 1 DTPO but (ii) the smart groups are application-specific - I’ve got DTPO installed on both machines, so two separate applications) - so on Mac 2 DTPO the only way to repeat and populate the smart groups would be for me to do so from scratch?

What I’d also like to know please is why was it necessary to run Verify & Repair on Mac 2 after opening Research1 on Mac 2? And is that going to be necessary whenever using my method of copy and overwrite d/b Research1 to use on either Mac?

tia

ps - It occurs to me that another and possibly the better way would be to export all files and folders to a folder on Mac 1 desktop (or direct to Dropbox) then import into Mac 2. By using the same folder each time for the export would overwrite any changes. The import I guess would result in duplicates (galore).

I copied Research and renamed it Research1

I am not sure how renaming a database in the Finder would alleviate confusion, but this is not a wise thing to do. You should not copy and rename database files in the Finder.

Copying Research1 from Mac 1 Finder folder to Dropbox: that took a few seconds.

This is also an unwise thing to do. You should never put DEVONthink databases in any cloud-synced folder or you can irreparably damage them (the likely cause of the issues with Verify & Repair). This admonition is well know and discussed.

And is that going to be necessary whenever using my method of copy and overwrite d/b Research1 to use on either Mac?

Why are you using a copy and overwrite method instead of proper syncing?

ps - It occurs to me that another and possibly the better way would be to export all files and folders to a folder on Mac 1 desktop (or direct to Dropbox) then import into Mac 2.

Again, this would be wildly inefficient compared to proper syncing.

I am not sure how renaming a database in the Finder would alleviate confusion, but this is not a wise thing to do. You should **not ** copy and rename database files in the Finder.

How should i copy and rename a database?

You should never put DEVONthink databases in any cloud-synced folder

Probably I’ve misunderstood but I was under the impression that not putting a DT database in Dropbox.was to do with using the database from there. Not that it shouldn’t be put in Dropbox ever.

Why are you using a copy and overwrite method instead of proper syncing?

Because at first attempt it seemed like circa 9000 ‘items’ would take hours and hours just to get into Dropbox.

Again, this would be wildly inefficient compared to proper syncing.

Ok but at least I could do it quickly.

How should i copy and rename a database?

You can’t. You have to create a new database with a new name. See:

Not that it shouldn’t be put in Dropbox ever.

As I noted here (and this can be found in many discussions on these forums):

Because at first attempt it seemed like circa 9000 ‘items’ would take hours and hours just to get into Dropbox.

We have no control over the speed of a network or responsiveness / reachability of a remote server like Dropbox’s. However, the initial push of a database will almost always take the longest since it’s usually syncing an existing database containing a large amount of data.