DTTGO - how to clip into non-Inbox folder

One thing which I still miss in DTTGO is the ability to clip into non-Inbox folder in the database (let us say i have a “Read Later” folder which I want to clip into directly).
Right now, everything must be clipped into Inbox, and then from inbox can be rearranged into appropriate folders. Which takes a lot of effort, especially on mobile. Surely I could write some smart rules in DT3 and let them re-arrange, but this is not possible on the go.

Is there a way to clip directly into the target folder?

1 Like

No, this is not possible at this time.

Remember iOS ≠ macOS, so the experience and options have different considerations and limitations.

Understood re iOS != macOS.
QQ: do you plan to introduce this highly important feature?
Motivation: Sorting/moving of files in the iOS is no fun, so ideally it would be great to be able to place this file where it belongs during clipping.
User-story: as a user I want to clip my files into the folders which I want (and not into Inbox only).
Thanks for your time :slight_smile:

This is on our long list of possibilities, however I can’t commit to any particular feature. Feasibility, development requirements, and the broadness of the need are all factors we have to consider.

Thanks. This would make DTTGO comparable to “competition” on mobile (I know they are not directly comparable to DT3) e.g. Evernote/Notion.

My only work around to this is to use tags

You can add tags, but the content still ends up in the inbox.
I never find time to sort this, so it is ever-growing.

You could set up Smart Rules (or maybe one Smart Rule with a sorting script) to sort by tags in DT.

This is not possible on my iPad, i think.

Is this a desktop feature?
I will never use this on desktop.

Also, is this not only available for Mac?
I will not have a Mac till the end of my live - i’m Windows based.

You are right, Smart Rules are a (fantastic) feature of the Mac version. As the OP mentioned DT 3 I was under the misconception that you are using it too.

DEVONthink 3 is a good reason to get a Mac :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No App is a reason to get a Mac :joy:

And as I think about it, also no reason to get a PC.

We’ve had more than one person tell us they bought a Mac to use DEVONthink.

1 Like

Then, this person realy is based around DT, most probably because of work and not something purely private.

Of course those persons exist, but I suppose that most users of DT and nearly of users who only use DTTG (and not the desktop version too) use the software on a much much smaller scale.

hei @BLUEFROG is this feature by chance coming onto the new big update which was mentioned on other threads?

I can’t say much about our development but no, this will not be in the next release.

I’m going to add this here, as its topic is close to what I’m experiencing/wanting.

The DT Inbox is a nice feature, but I’m finding that it’s difficult to use via automation (or, more importantly, printing to PDF) due to its location. It seems that the security sandbox is preventing such access.

Therefore, please consider this request to be able to either designate an alternative location for the Inbox, such as inside the Home folder, or some other way to make it more workable as place to put files for automatic import the next time DT is launched.

The discussion here was about DTTG, i.e. the i*OS version (and it’s about 1,5 years old already!).

There is no home folder on DTTG. But there’s a “print to DEVONthink” service available in the standard macOS print dialog. I use it all the time (maybe I had to install something, I don’t remember, but I’m confident it’s in the documentation). Whatever I “print to DEVONthink” there arrives safe and sane in my inbox. No sandbox stopping it.

Fair enough, didn’t notice it was the DTTG area. So much for my effort in trying to be tidy! Lol. (My issue with Save PDF to DT on the Mac is that the DT app has to be running, which is onerous.)

I had to look that up. Burdensome? To whom? Here, the Mac just runs it. I don’t really know if it’s burdened by doing so, but I have the impression that it’s doing ok.

Seriously, I’m not sure if DT has to run in order to be able to „print“ to its inbox. Since the inbox is just a folder, I doubt that.

2 Likes