Evernote Import Broken (on Evernote 10.0)

Evernote released new version 10.0 for MacOs. After upgrade import from Evernote to DevonThink 3 stopped working.

Which versions of macOS and DT3 are you using? Are you seeing anything in the error log?

From the Evernote blog: “But please be aware that there are a handful of features—such as AppleScript, import folders, and the ability to edit note creation dates—that are not yet available. If your workflow depends on these features, you can continue to use our legacy apps.”

I’m going to wager a bet that’s the reason …

2 Likes

MacOS Big Sur 11.0 Beta (20A5384c)
DevonThin Pro 3.5.2

Presumably you were using already the same Big Sur beta prior to updating Evernote, so can exclude Big Sur as the cause? @BLUEFROG does import from Evernote use AppleScript to control Evernote?

does import from Evernote use AppleScript to control Evernote?

Though it could be a mix of AppleScript and Objective-C, the short answer is: yes.

1 Like

You can install Evernote legacy version and run it side by side with Evernote 10, but then I believe the scripts will not work correctly. vv

It’s possible that the best approach is to uninstall Evernote 10. Reinstall the legacy version. Extract data if needed. Then either wait for Evernote 10 to catch up with the missing features, or reinstall Evernote 10, depending on your needs.

Personally, I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for AppleScript to return to Evernote 10x.

vvAppleScript will need to be modified to use tell application "Evernote Legacy"

1 Like

Big Sur is the same release, only Evernote new release is installed

Thanks for the info. I’ve added (on Evernote 10.0) to the title of your post - I hope that is ok for you? My hope is that way more people will pick up on the fact that the new version of Evernote won’t currently allow for import to DT, making your post particularly helpful.

3 Likes

evernote ticks me off. I quit using it

1 Like

Does it at least still support ENEX export?

According to this help article on the Evernote site, quoted below, v 10.0 does support ENEX, yes.

What features are not yet available in the new app?

This is not an exhaustive list of features, but the most notable include:

• App preferences
  • Export options other than ENEX

I am so glad I dumped Evernote for DEVONThink on 09/27. I imported all of my notes and deleted it. I still had 10 months left on my grandfather’d PLUS subscription. I see I made the right decision.

1 Like

Evernote 10 supports ENEX, yes. However, it is not possible in v10 to select (and therefore export) more than 50 notes at a time. This throttles the export of notes.

1 Like

However, it is not possible in v10 to select (and therefore export) more than 50 notes at a time.

Wow… that’s pretty broken.

1 Like

Yep, and important features like converting a note to PDF so that it can be marked up in situ is gone. The context feature that showed other notes that were related to this note is gone.

This is why I recommend getting the “Legacy” version, export everything to a new DEVONthink database, and get out of Dodge as fast as you can before they close all the gates and lock all your data into Evernote jail.

4 Likes

Evernote 10 from the App Store does export ENEX files and yes, you can export entire notebooks containing thousands of notes, or individually selected groups of <=50 notes. What you can’t do is, export search or filter results if there are more than 50 notes, or manually select more than 50 notes.

In DT I was initially confused because the option to import Notes from Evernote does not allow one to browse to the exported ENEX files. Wherever DT is looking for data, it’s not there in Evernote V10. But importing ENEX generically via “Files and Folders” did work fine for me.

As an aside, I am very impressed by the ENEX import capability. It’s astonishing how bad OneNote’s importer is, by comparison.

Welcome @nomanisan
Evernote removed AppleScript support in version 10.
But thanks for the other info and nice feedback!

New from evernote. This thread helps.

Welcome @JackBaz

Glad it’s a useful thread for you.
Cheers!