Excel and Word files in DTTG

Hi,
I am a potential DT/DTTG user, with a question before jumping.

I need to edit Excel and Word files on my iPad on the go. I want the changes to sync back to DT on my Macs.
I have an Office 365 sub and Excel and Word installed on the iPad and Macs.

Can I simply browse to an Excel or Word file in DTTG on my iPad, open, edit and save it?

Or do I have to round trip it to Excel or Word as I do with my files in iCloud Drive at present. A confusing process which doesn’t seem to be consistent in my experience.

I am looking for behaviour on the iPad as straightforward as it is on the Macs.

Thanks very much.

Can I simply browse to an Excel or Word file in DTTG on my iPad, open, edit and save it?

Yes, but this requires purchasing the in-app Pro Pack in DEVONthink (see Settings > Manage).

Thanks very much for quick answer. I have upgraded my old DEVONthink 2 license and installed DTTG and got the Pro Pack…now got some reading and setting up to do. I have the TC book.

Don’t forget our built-in Help. It’s… well, helpful :slight_smile:

I think I have misunderstood your reply. In particular I didn’t look properly at your screenshot which is in the Excel app, not DTTG. Your reply was clear enough. I think I believed what I wanted to believe.

My question was:

“Can I simply browse to an Excel or Word file in DTTG on my iPad, open, edit and save it?”
and
“I am looking for behaviour on the iPad as straightforward as it is on the Macs.”

I have now created and populated a Database syncing between Mac and iPad.

I open DTTG on my iPad and browse to a file I want to edit. It displays a preview but I can’t see any way to open it in either Pages, Word, Excel, Numbers.

I can go to the appropriate app and see DEVONThink To Go (as your screenshot which I now understand) and from that navigate to the file and open/edit/save…but that is not “in DTTG” as per my question, or as straightforward as doing it on a Mac.

The reason why this matters is that I have hundreds of files organised in Subject groups. In each group I have a mixture of Pages, Word, Numbers and Excel files. On my Macs I can simply browse the subject folder/group, double click a file and it will open the file in the appropriate app.

On the iPad I have to remember whether the one I want is a Pages, Word, Numbers, Excel etc and open the right app and then I can navigate to it and edit. Big difference!

Am I now understanding the situation correctly or are there any workarounds?

Somewhat to my surprise the Files app plays really well with DTTG.

DTTG is available as a location in Files and can open files with the appropriate app in subject folders which contain files of different types.

No need to remember whether the file I want to edit is a Numbers or Excel.

1 Like

Glad you’ve got it worked out! :slight_smile: