I’ve read every thread that’s related to this topic but haven’t been able to implement the right steps to solve my problem.
Can someone direct me to script that will fetch metadata into DT3 based on the DOI? All of the files I’m looking to re-label contain DOIs. I’m looking for something similar to what the “Google Books Metadata” script does – from whatever source.
Alternatively, if I do have to deal with code/ github, I’d really appreciate clear instructions on what to do.
Many of the discussions on this forum seem to assume some degree of proficiency in coding. I downloaded Python and followed a few set of instructions that caused systemic issues on my Mac mini (M1, Ventura). Perhaps this is a shortcoming on my part. I’ve since restored the Mac’s factory settings.
Not in the file itself, but it’s in the file’s title in my database. I attempted two solutions: a) manually inputting the DOI in the custom metadata field and b) printing the DOI number in the PDF. Neither worked.
The first document was originally released with a DOI, whereas the second was assigned a DOI by the journal retrospectively. I notice the same pattern with other academic journals: older articles tend not to be identified in DT3.
Yet, Zotero and Mendely are able to identify such older articles without any problems. This leads me to wonder the bottleneck might be DT3’s script.
You guys are doing a fantastic job and I don’t want this to come across as a complaint or a demand. But it’d serve us academics well if this can be addressed somehow.
I did both: I put the number in the file name, and then the DOI custom metadata field. Figured there’s probably a script out there that’ll automatically transfer the file name to that particular field.