Script to look up PDF document metadata on crossref.org

I hate AppleScript. Really hate it. But I love Devonthink, and had an itch to scratch. This is somewhat similar to other scripts that do bibliographic lookups, but it uses crossref.org.

Feedback, etc. welcome.

4 Likes

Looks like an interesting script. However, as it requires either a text selection or a certain name I wonder what kind of input crossref.org accepts/expects.

By the way, do your documents contain a DOI (digital object identifier)? Then the smart rule script Download Bibliographic Metadata might be useful too.

Okay, I should obviously read the comments how to use it first :slight_smile:

It uses crossref’s query.bibliographic, which allows pretty broad input; authors, ISBNs, titles, etc.

My workflow when I download papers is to usually to set the name of the paper using control-command-I (awesome feature, was so happy when I found that), that’s why it takes the name if you don’t select any text.

Some papers contain DOIs, but many don’t :frowning: I might make it a bit more nuanced if there’s existing metadata…

For hating AppleScript, it looks like you made something useful… and I hope that itch is gone now :wink:

2 Likes