Folders for Favorites and Smart Rules

I know this has been discussed previously

Folders in the nav bar to allow for organizing Favorites and Smart Rules would be immensely helpful. DT3 is a victim of its success - with lots of use these two areas become hard to manage. Folders are a “low tech” feature which could be of really notable help in making DT3 that much more useful day to day.

8 Likes

I’ve got 53 smart rules sitting in my sidebar. This is completely subjective, of course, but for me that number is too large to be “tidy”; I have clustered similar rules within the list, but it remains untidy. Of course, most of the time those rules are hidden. But that’s just like that one draw you bung stuff into but know one day you’ll have to tidy up.

So +1 for folders for smart rules!

3 Likes

This gets a huge +1 from me. I am hesitant to use too many global Smart Folders and Smart Rules because I can’t take the clutter!

1 Like

great idea

+1
There is too much clutter without folders.

1 Like

#1 issue by far I look for every time a new release comes out

DT3 is a victim of its success

Immensely needed

+1 for me too!

Also I wished tag colours would carry over to the sidebar.

+1 For Smart Rules in particular, this would add a lot of value

1 Like

Any chance folders might be implemented for Favorites and Smart Rules?

1 Like

Nothing to report at this time.

I know this is an old question, but FWIW, I offer a simple way to at least get separators into the long list of smart rules: define an empty rule with a title containing characters that make a visual line. Here’s an example:

The gray color is the result of marking the rule “disabled”. I use the character “─” (Unicode U+2500, “box drawings light horizontal”) repeated multiple times to make the (fake) line that you see in the screenshot. Unlike using plain em-dash, repeated copies of this character look joined, giving you an uninterrupted line. There are some other variants in Unicode if you wanted to use different line styles for different sections.

It’s not as good as having folders in the list of smart rules, but it helps me contain the visual clutter in my DEVONthink a little bit. Perhaps it will help others here.

6 Likes

+1 for me as well. Folders in Smart Rules and Favorites. I’d also like to see them in Wokspaces.

This would greatly enhance the case the ease of use of Devonthink for Power users.

Bumping this up @cgrunenberg

Any chance to see Folders implemented for favorites and smart rules?

Not just a chance, it’s definitely planned for upcoming releases.

4 Likes

Amen - thank you